Counterfeit detection primer -- periodic post

Old November 16th 03, 02:06 AM
Phil DeMayo

"Nick Knight" wrote:

You forgot to mention his tendency to FABRICATE text and modify passages to
support his "position". How can you be wrong when you can always modify
existing text so that it reads the way you want? Just modify and offer as
original!

For two blaring examples, see the secion entitled Phil's Phib at:

http://rcc.servehttp.com/#Phib

Yes....please do visit Little Nicky's web page.

When you get to the part where he claims I lied about the ANA requiring that
fakes be marked in the metal of the coin, scroll up a paragraph or so where
Nicky quotes the passage himself and look for the phrase "incused in the metal"
;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Little Nicky has demonstrated this lack of comprehension over and over again.
The rest of his web page is equally baseless.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old November 16th 03, 02:14 AM
Phil DeMayo

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

This is in response to further nonsense from Phil DeMayo about
this subject, gleaned from a periodic Google Groups search.

Tranalation: I was checking through Google to see if I forgot to "no-archive"
any posts that may come back to bite me in the ass....and to see who's talking
about ME, ME, ME.

It's amazing how my brief response to this installment of Rita's periodic
drivel continues to get her panties in a bunch when I promised her it would
appear each time her's was posted.

++++++++++
Old November 16th 03, 02:31 AM
Alan & Erin Williams

Phil DeMayo wrote:

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

This is in response to further nonsense from Phil DeMayo about
this subject, gleaned from a periodic Google Groups search.

Tranalation: I was checking through Google to see if I forgot to "no-archive"
any posts that may come back to bite me in the ass....and to see who's talking
about ME, ME, ME.

It's amazing how my brief response to this installment of Rita's periodic
drivel continues to get her panties in a bunch when I promised her it would
appear each time her's was posted.

It's the 'Google' crap that makes me laugh at the resident Troll.

It's not unknown that I'll be in someone else's office or home, in a
hotel somewhere, and use Google because I don't have access to a
newsreader. When I see someone's name whose posts I usually avoid or
have killfiled, I have the common sense to not open it *there* either. ;-/

Reid, as usually, is lying through his teeth. He's in love with me, and
you and Leo and Doc and A. Gent and Jim and anyone willing to talk about
his favorite subject, M.M.M. ;-) Of course he reads our postings. Of
course he wants to respond. But 'I found it by accident in Google' is
his only possible excuse for ranting anew about those of us who resent
his tiresome, annoying antics after having very publically 'killfiled'
us. He gets to play 'victim' all over again, as though somehow someone
snuck behind his pompous back to say something, then can come roaring in
with a sense of outrage...AHA! Caught Ya!

What an idiot.

All I can say, is that for a computer 'expert', someone paid to give
advice on how to use the Internet...the boy has more than his fair share
of accidents. ;-)

Alan
'oops! I wrote this by accident'
Old November 16th 03, 02:42 AM
Bob Peterson

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote in message
Phil DeMayo wrote:

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

[...]

maybe he is related to frank. :-)

just could not resist.

Old November 16th 03, 04:57 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:20:32 GMT, "Nick Knight"
wrote:

You forgot to mention his tendency to FABRICATE text and modify passages to
support his "position". How can you be wrong when you can always modify
existing text so that it reads the way you want? Just modify and offer as
original!

Though I see your point, I personally wouldn't characterize Phil as
somebody who knowingly and consciously makes up lies. There are those
in this newsgroup, a small number fortunately, who do this. My
definition of evil is serious wrong done consciously. Repeatedly
making up lies is one example of serious wrong. But Phil does a
disservice to truth every time he pretends he's a lawyer and does
things no lawyer would ever do, engaging is grade-school legal
reasoning and pronouncing his conclusions as "the law," then trying to
scare people with the awful legal consequences they face if they don't
adhere to his version of the law. It's ludicrous almost beyond words.
Almost. g

The true irony of course with the counterfeit discussion here is how
much counterfeit information is put out there by those who say they
oppose counterfeits. Counterfeits are bad, even studying them, but
it's perfectly OK to put out erroneous information about them because
you oppose them so strongly...

But all of this, ultimately, is babystuff. You catch somebody lying,
and that person says, I'm not lying, you are. You catch somebody being
hypocritical, and that person says, I'm not being hypocritical, you
are. You catch somebody putting out erroneous information, and that
person says, I don't put out erroneous information, you do. And I
suppose my continued involvement with this babystuff is babystuff too.
I have the most egregious junktalkers killfiled, which helps a good
deal, but I still get sucked into this, feeling compelled to look for
and then respond to misinformation. And it starts again...

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Coin Collecting: Consumer Protection Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old November 16th 03, 05:01 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:20:32 GMT, "Nick Knight"
wrote:

Phil is simply an old, hard-headed dunce. One of a pack of 4 core
.composters who no one should take seriously. He is the centerpiece of my
killfile set, and well deservedly so.

But the funniest of all these people, by far, is Leo the Third. He
also is not evil, just amazingly unaware, a baby totally
unselfconscious of what he does and how he appears. The "Poopooheads"
guy, putting this in his email address, openly saying he likes to see
others mocked, trying to mock another in every single message he
leaves here with a sig devoted to me. Some might consider this a
pathological obsession, his being seriously disturbed. I think it's
just flightiness taken to the nth degree. His sole purpose with his
sig is to try to mock me. Ponder this. It's like putting "Poopooheads"
and this on a business card. Yes indeed, there's a fine, upstanding
person. You can't help wonder what is he thinking? And how does
somebody like this think in the first place? How does his mind work?
Boggles my mind. g

Old November 17th 03, 03:46 AM
Ed. Stoebenau

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 02:47:52 GMT, Leo M. Cavanaugh III
wrote:

I've noticed there are a whole lot of people who spend an
inordinate amount of time advertising the fact that they don't
like him (to put it nicely), which has gotten old really really
fast. Guess what, we've learned who doesn't like who; we don't
need hourly reminders.

--
Ed. Stoebenau
a #143
Old November 17th 03, 05:23 AM
A.Gent

wrote:

I've noticed there are a whole lot of people who spend an
inordinate amount of time advertising the fact that they don't
like him (to put it nicely), which has gotten old really really
fast. Guess what, we've learned who doesn't like who; we don't
need hourly reminders.

--
Ed. Stoebenau
a #143

You're quite right, Ed, and I have personally bitten my tongue on *many*
occasions (or rather, kept my fingers off the kb).

However, there are times when his egregious slander and offensive rants just
*need* to be countered.

Granted, the more mature of us have taken to ignoring the fatuous one, but I
have never claimed maturity as a personal quality.

Also, there's the risk that if we don't bite back occasionally, he might
think he has achieved some sort of "moral victory".

(...and besides, when he sticks up his hands, waves like crazy, and bellows
"PICK ON ME! PICK ON ME! ME ME ME! " its really hard not to oblige him.)

Sorry about the bandwidth, but bullies and liars like RG shouldn't always be
left alone.

Old November 17th 03, 05:37 AM
Colin Kynoch

Would you like to buy a return key?