constant hum

Old November 21st 04, 06:10 AM
Rick Force

Default constant hum

Hi All,
My 222 has a low level constant hum. Volume setting has no affect and
the amp is in the muted condition. Is this some kinda grounding
problem? Amp was just serviced. Where do I look? This has a 2 blade ac
cord. Thanks, Rick.
Old November 21st 04, 06:29 AM
Ken G.

unhook everything from the amp accept the speaker and whatever it uses
to power on , if it still hums it was not fixed right .

Old November 21st 04, 05:18 PM
Jim Murphy

More than likely the caps in the power supply are not in the best of
condition. If you had a re-cap job performed on the amp the technician may
have used old caps which were dry. Star by asking him if the eletrolytic
caps were replaced. There are other options but this is the most obvious
place to start. Jim

om...

Old November 22nd 04, 01:02 AM
Crazy George

Rick:

One of the overlooked problems is mechanical hum from fluorescent lamp ballasts and power transformers. Disconnect the
speaker(s). If the hum does not go away, look at these items. If it does, then it is likely the main filter capacitors
in the amplifier.

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address

Old November 22nd 04, 07:34 PM
John Robertson

What crazy (?) George didn't mention is on the older Seeburg amps, the
amp. HV is shut down when the machine is not playing so it CAN'T be
the amplifier creating the hum!!!

Either the Latch Solenoid or the fluorescent ballasts...

John :-#)#

"Rick Force" wrote in message
om...
Hi All,
My 222 has a low level constant hum. Volume setting has no affect and
the amp is in the muted condition. Is this some kinda grounding
problem? Amp was just serviced. Where do I look? This has a 2 blade ac
cord. Thanks, Rick.

(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)
www.flippers.com

Old November 22nd 04, 11:42 PM
Crazy George

John:

I didn't mention that, as I have seen 'boxes in home use which have the amps wired to be hot all the time, and an
external power switch added, to eliminate the tiny start delay. Not that it makes much difference, but somebody thinks
it does. And, I don't have a good marker for models which have it and which don't.

Old November 23rd 04, 07:52 AM
Rick Force

yes, that's correct, my amp hi-voltage does shut down after the last
record plays. I believe only the heaters (filiments) are left on.
Either way, I still get hum from the speakers (I dissconnected one and
the hum left from that one). I'm off the next couple days and can try
the various suggestions you all have made. Rick.

Old November 23rd 04, 03:41 PM
Crazy George

Rick:

Interesting. Be sure of that fact before proceeding further. DIsconnect all speakers. If the hum goes away, then you
have some sneak path, sometimes incorrectly referred to as a ground loop in the speaker wiring. Finding that will
require careful examination of the wiring of the speakers and the output transformer and associated terminal strip(s).
I hope you have a correct and complete schematic. Good luck!

Old November 23rd 04, 07:16 PM
John Robertson

This is starting to sound like a filament shorted to a cathode and/or
grid of an output tube...that is the only way I can see a hum sneaking
into the speakers on a Seeburg amp with no B+...

John :-#)#