AMI/ROWE R-82 problem

Old September 20th 03, 02:27 AM
Robotron Tom

Tony Miklos started a controversy when he said
in :

It sounds like my question just gave you a jump start, you knew how to
fix it all along!
--
Tony

Hehehe...well, sometimes we all need a little push in the right
direction.

--
Robotron Tom *remove nospam to email*

Flashback Arcade Sales at: http:// www.arcadeguy.net

"The U.S.A. will remain the home of the free only so long as it remains
the home of the brave"
-Elmer Davis
Old September 20th 03, 02:39 AM
Robotron Tom

Tony Miklos started a controversy when he said
in :

Yes it is. It is also common for a broken wire or bad connection, but
you seem to have narrowed it down. To double check it you can do the
"hum" test. With the volume low to medium, play a record and lift up
the tone arm. While touching the metal of a small screwdriver, touch
it to the terminals on the cartridge one at a time. You should get a
nice 60 cycle hum touching two of the terminals. If only two give a
good hum, yes it's probably the cartridge. If only 1 hums, double
check for a broken signal wire. If three hum, double check for a
broken ground wire.

--
Tony

I'll do that. But this is just to check for a broken line to the amp,
right? Is there a way to actually check the cartridge?

Suggestion on where to buy a new cartridge since that's more than likely
what I need.

Thank you,

Old September 20th 03, 02:45 AM
Robotron Tom

John Robertson started a controversy when he said in
:

You might also have a collapsed stylus...make sure it is not bent - it
must be centered in the tiny tube it fits in...

John :-#)#

Hey John,

I pulled out the stylus and saw that it was bent slightly. I straightened
it and reinserted it. Still no left channel. I'm going for the new
cartridge when I find the best deal.

Thank you,

Old September 20th 03, 02:45 PM
Ten--Pin-

One item that ruined many cartridges on Ami and for that mater Rock-Ola
Jukeboxes of that era were the use of knock-off brand stylii ( needles
). The original stylus assembly manfactured by Shure should be a robins
egg blue color and have the Shure name ( logo ) in black print on the
front of the stulus grip ( blue plastic part ). If the stylus grip is
any other color than this it is the wrong stylus even if it has the
Shure logo on it. The color of the stylus grip identified the various
types of stylii available for the Shure N44 cartridge, including a
stylus for 78 RPM records which had a green stylus grip.

The N44-C cartridge as used in Rowe/Ami machines from model MM1 thru
R-82 has a stylus tracking spec. of 3 to 5 grams. The tone arms were
factory set to track at 4 grams. As all of these models have been
wellused by now it would be a good idea to check the tracking force with
a guage as it may have meen altered at one time or another on location
by a service man. If your tone arm will not track properly at 4 grams
the problem is elsewhere !

No-Name needles were available for these jukeboxes as well as other
makes & models of Jukes. The quality and reliability of these needles
were always questionable and many of the ones I have seen did not fit
the cartridge properly and were out of spec for the 4 gram tracking spec
of the Ami Tone Arms in those models of machines. I serviced many
machines where no-name needles had been used and when trying to replace
the stylus with the proper one ( Shure N44-C ) the correct stylus would
not be held into nhe cartridge properly and would sometimes even fall
out of the cartridge. Some of the no name needles were made to track at
1 to 3 grams and when installed in the Rowe Jukeboxes, the styus
armature would nearly collapse up into the stylus grip causing the
needle to skip and/or reproduce inferior sound.

I believe Shure still makes the N44-C stylus available even though they
discontinued the cartridge and replaced it with a later type. At first
they were going to stop making needles as well but may have made a few
runs of them since, to fill the demand.

If you are planning to keep your machine for a long time I would
reccomend buying several spare needles as the price of them will
continue to increase. When 45RPM Jukes were still in manufacture, AMI &
Rock-Ola bought thousands of cartridges a year. When the manfacture of
45 RPM machines came to a halt, you can imagine why those cartridges
were discontinued by Shure.

Shure did come out with a replacement series of cartridges for the
discontinued ones at that tine although I do not know what is available
from them today. Why not give Shure a phone call and ask what they
reccomend as a replacement. Your tone arm height may or may not have to
be re-adjusted with a replacement cartridge. Just mae shure the stylus
tip FULLY clears the gripper as it swings the arm over it in play
position. The replacement cartridge Stylus pressure should be able to
track properly at 4 grams. This is very important.

Old September 21st 03, 01:24 PM
Robotron Tom

"Arthur Dent" started a controversy when he said
in m:

Try www.jukeboxneedles.com
Ed Saunders in Tucker, Ga.
He also has cartridges.