kinda dead here isn't it?

Old March 21st 07, 03:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken G.

Default kinda dead here isn't it?

Keith To people like Eddie and i a vintage piece of equipment is just
that , vintage . They are a good pass time to restore . We experiance
the feeling of the older equipment and enjoy its construction
complication and its appearance even when its not playing . We enjoy the
older music and at least i enjoy finding stacks of old records to sort
through and switch around in the jukes .
I guess when you get older you dont feel the need to have endless lists
of music playing all the time and be paying enough attention to hear all
of it .
Modern music devices are great i think . I have XM radio for that
porpose and if needed for some reason it could be hooked to any old
jukebox for constant music .
I guess ``the hayday`` of jukeboxes has passed ? i only got started a
few years ago but i sure see activity on ebay . I am sure its harder
these days to pull Wurlitzer 1015`s and the like out of back rooms &
places like that for the taking . Maybe that is why it slowed down .

Old March 21st 07, 11:02 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken Doyle

There's a little more action over at
http://lists.netlojix.com/mailman/listinfo/jukebox-list

Ken D.

"Eddie Brimer" wrote in message
oups.com...
does the jukebox crowd not like to talk about their hobby? or...am i
in the wrong place? i am a old radio collector and have hung around
the radio NG for years. over there, we like to just chat about our
passion and provide help when we can. i don't see a lot of that here.
is there a reason for that? not sure if i am a juke collector. i own
2. have owned and restored a couple more. i find myself liking the
jukes as much as the radios...that's scary.

Old March 22nd 07, 01:28 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Keith Stelter

Ken,
I still love my old jukes as much as anyone, but it is a FACT that the hobby
has been dying over the past decade.
Go to any of the big shows and you will see both attendance AND prices down
by well over 50%.
The hobby probably won't ever die completely, and I know that I will always
keep a few of my old favorite jukes around, but the days when tens of
thousands of guys were all trying to collect and restore jukes are over.
I'm not thrilled about it, but not many people want Model "A's" any more
either although they are VERY neat cars.
And as someone else mentioned, the excitement is mostly gone because 99.9%
of the jukes hidden in basements, closed up bars, and forgotten warehouses
got uncovered when people were paying stupid money for almost any juke in
any condition.

Old March 22nd 07, 04:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Eddie Brimer

"Ken G." wrote in message

[...]
places like that for the taking . Maybe that is why it slowed down .- Hide quoted text -

i wish i could find a decent unrestored classic (1015ish) juke for a
decent price.

Old March 22nd 07, 05:05 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Don Lanway

Radios were a consumer commodity, every house or apartment had one, or more,
back before TV. Jukeboxes were one to a bar or diner, and lasted several
years in service. Also, you can probably store ten or more radios in the
space it takes to store one juke. My "keeper" and junk pile is down to about
twenty or so jukes, and another twenty or so arcade games and pinballs. I've
sent a dozen or so to the landfill/recyclers just because I have no room,
and nobody wanted them. I did keep the more useful components for spares.

The point is, there are fewer collectors because there were fewer built,
because they're all complex and different, because they're large, heavy, and
expensive to restore, and they're just not sexy anymore. The people that
used to buy restored jukes as showpieces now just buy a retro CD juke and
have done with it. Also, it's damn near impossible to get anyone to come to
your house to work on you juke... I know, I still get calls begging me to
come "fix this little problem, it has to be something simple". So the circle
of people that collect, restore and appreciate jukeboxes grows smaller each
year.

Cheers,

Lanway

Old March 22nd 07, 01:24 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

"Ken Doyle" wrote in message

There's a little more action over at
http://lists.netlojix.com/mailman/listinfo/jukebox-list

Ken D.

"Eddie Brimer" wrote in message
roups.com...
does the jukebox crowd not like to talk about their hobby? or...am i
in the wrong place? i am a old radio collector and have hung around
the radio NG for years. over there, we like to just chat about our
passion and provide help when we can. i don't see a lot of that here.
is there a reason for that? not sure if i am a juke collector. i own
2. have owned and restored a couple more. i find myself liking the
jukes as much as the radios...that's scary.

same here
Have got a customer's R-83 in here with a dead 7407 (note - this is
NOT THE TTL 7407 ic, but a custom chip) which I am unable to source.
Without this part, the machine is totally useless.

Even if you could get the part, repair is going to be about $200 +
freight and many will think twice before spending this amount.

Old March 23rd 07, 07:08 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken G.

I have to agree with most everything posted here . Great conversation
for those of us who got into jukebox in the last 10 years .
One interesting thing i notice around here is people like the not so old
jukeboxes .. in fact the playing of old records is quite popular and
wanted here . Not so much audiophile but just any record player that
plays records . A 25 year old jukebox is exciting to many .
I run a genaral repair business in this small town and lots of calls to
fix record players . i also sell and service jukeboxes local . Large
towns may be different i suppose .
I do know there is plenty of interest in 45rpm records . I see where
stuff i wont pay high prices for in some thrift shops sell pretty quick
Cant figure out who & why yet .

Kinda New dtf Coins 1 March 8th 06 11:42 PM
kinda bummed.... my-wings Books 10 October 19th 05 04:07 AM
Kinda off-topic, kinda not. Chunk o' steel. A You Coins 1 February 22nd 05 11:36 AM
OT kinda George D Coins 11 November 20th 04 06:07 PM