kinda dead here isn't it?

Old March 20th 07, 12:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Eddie Brimer

Default kinda dead here isn't it?

does the jukebox crowd not like to talk about their hobby? or...am i
in the wrong place? i am a old radio collector and have hung around
the radio NG for years. over there, we like to just chat about our
passion and provide help when we can. i don't see a lot of that here.
is there a reason for that? not sure if i am a juke collector. i own
2. have owned and restored a couple more. i find myself liking the
jukes as much as the radios...that's scary.

Old March 20th 07, 01:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Mar 20, 10:33 pm, "Eddie Brimer" wrote:
does the jukebox crowd not like to talk about their hobby? or...am i
in the wrong place? i am a old radio collector and have hung around
the radio NG for years. over there, we like to just chat about our
passion and provide help when we can. i don't see a lot of that here.
is there a reason for that? not sure if i am a juke collector. i own
2. have owned and restored a couple more. i find myself liking the
jukes as much as the radios...that's scary.

Its just the nature of the group, and (recently) the dead jukebox
industry in general.

Old March 20th 07, 09:45 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
indy-gus

On Mar 20, 7:33 am, "Eddie Brimer" wrote:
does the jukebox crowd not like to talk about their hobby? or...am i
in the wrong place? i am a old radio collector and have hung around
the radio NG for years. over there, we like to just chat about our
passion and provide help when we can. i don't see a lot of that here.
is there a reason for that? not sure if i am a juke collector. i own
2. have owned and restored a couple more. i find myself liking the
jukes as much as the radios...that's scary.

Yeah, this is a group of the "silent types". If you want action, go
to rec.games.pinball and mention the name "gary"

indy-gus

Old March 20th 07, 10:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
PV[_2_]

"indy-gus" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 20, 7:33 am, "Eddie Brimer" wrote:
does the jukebox crowd not like to talk about their hobby? or...am i
in the wrong place? i am a old radio collector and have hung around
the radio NG for years. over there, we like to just chat about our
passion and provide help when we can. i don't see a lot of that here.
is there a reason for that? not sure if i am a juke collector. i own
2. have owned and restored a couple more. i find myself liking the
jukes as much as the radios...that's scary.

Yeah, this is a group of the "silent types". If you want action, go
to rec.games.pinball and mention the name "gary"

Oh be nice.....that's just a cruel thing to do

PV

Old March 20th 07, 11:57 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken G.

I dont think there are nearly as many jukebox repair people as there are
radio people . Almost all old radios have the same problems where as
jukeboxes are more complicated big and not collected in the numbers
radios are .

I have used this group for many years and got great help on most stuff
and none on others .

Old March 21st 07, 01:45 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Eddie Brimer

On Mar 20, 7:57?pm, (Ken G.) wrote:
I dont think there are nearly as many jukebox repair people as there are
radio people . Almost all old radios have the same problems where as
jukeboxes are more complicated big and not collected in the numbers
radios are .

I have used this group for many years and got great help on most stuff
and none on others .

maybe we should try to wake things up a bit then ken. what are you
working on?

Old March 21st 07, 02:32 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Coinopwarehouse

When we do post Johns Jukes seems to feel it is boorish and only he
can promote his business.

Old March 21st 07, 10:25 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Keith Stelter

The guys here don't want to talk about stuff like politics or Britney
Spears, and we don't want to repeat the same threads every month asking
"what are the top 10 jukeboxes", or "which jukebox brand was the best".
It's refreshing! I walked away from the pinball group and pretty much the
hobby itself a few months ago after 20+ years of serious collecting because
of all the BS in that newsgroup and the people in general.
Jukebox collecting has matured, and unfortunately it's heyday is past.
The pinball hobby is where the jukebox hobby was 20 years ago when several
of the manufacturers went under and there was a mad scramble to acquire
virtually ANY jukebox older than 1960. There were a bunch of guys starting
to reproduce jukebox parts of varying quality, which made for plenty of
controversy, and there were a lot of "ego" guys throwing a TON of money into
the hobby in order to build HUGE collections of the most desirable jukes.
Now jukeboxes are kind of irrelevant because anyone under 30 is carrying
10,000 songs around on their MP3 IPOD cell phone! I have to admit that I
have sold or put into storage most of my collection, and have a CD juke as
my main one.
I'm also going to put a touchscreen monitor in the wall near my home bar so
that I can run a program called WinCab jukebox from my computer to the
monitor, and will have a virtually unlimited amount of music available. I
still LOVE my old, vinyl boxes, but it's hard to get anyone excited about a
machine that plays 100 songs (only 50 of which were popular) in mono sound,
and that has to be mechanically maintained and repaired.
The guys on this group will always come out of our caves to answer questions
and help out, but again we tend to not be too chit-chatty!
oups.com...

Old March 21st 07, 12:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Eddie Brimer

On Mar 21, 6:25�am, "Keith Stelter" wrote:
[...]

jukes as much as the radios...that's scary.- Hide quoted text -

maybe it IS different. i scanned back through the archives and seen a
few coming out of their caves...not many. to me, a hobby is a get
away. it is my time to do things such as "talk about the same subject
over and over". it gets old sometimes. but you got to realize that
the people asking "why does my radio hum", are the newcomers to the
hobby and they pump a little life into it. if a hobby has gotten to
be so boring and not fun to even talk about, i would find another. as
far as jukes being not desirable. i couldn't disagree more. most of
the radios i collect only receive AM. nothing much on AM. who cares.
We are collecting the RADIOS. we are collecting the nostalgia. the
fact that a jukebox can play music is secondary to the beauty and
quality some of these machines have.

Old March 21st 07, 03:04 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken G.

Thanks Eddie and its nice to have you here . I guess you know i recently
bought 12 jukeboxes .
I finished up an AMI (R 85 i think) it is 27 years old . First one of
those i ever seen and this newsgroup helped and cut my time down finding
problems .
I did alot of painting if trim and parts to make it look like a jukebox
instead of a big black square . As i was doing this i noticed the big
name plate at the bottom of the title strip window was right in front of
the turntable so i cut it out and it left a nice opening and now you can
see the records playing . If you kneel down you can see the whole mech
too .
I changed the ``most popular`` button on front to a free credit button
and moved the volume control up front also .
Then i added some rope light down both sides behind the colored parts
that were getting no light and that looks way better .
The machine will still accept coins or dollar bills . I moved it to the
antique mall because she had sold my last one like it .

Kinda New dtf Coins 1 March 8th 06 11:42 PM
kinda bummed.... my-wings Books 10 October 19th 05 04:07 AM
Kinda off-topic, kinda not. Chunk o' steel. A You Coins 1 February 22nd 05 11:36 AM
OT kinda George D Coins 11 November 20th 04 06:07 PM