Prices! Bottom has dropped out!

Old August 9th 08, 12:37 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
ComputerSpace

Default Prices! Bottom has dropped out!

Yes, they are dropping, except for a model I would like to buy. Those
models always seem to be outside the norm.

That being said, I sure would like to find a Seeburg 'Disco' juke!
You can't give those away, right? ;^)

Regards,
Tom

On Aug 6, 11:51*pm, (Ken G.) wrote:
I have been reading here about the decrease in $ value of jukeboxes for
a while .
Sometimes it depends on where you sell them . Antique malls do pretty
good with these .

I would like to find a nice Wurlitzer OMT that plays home made cd`s ..
cheap

Old August 10th 08, 03:38 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken G.

I thought Seeburg had 2 or 3 `disco` machines ?

Every `off street` average consumer i meet and the subject comes up all
think jukeboxes are worth very high prices .

Old August 10th 08, 03:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Keith Stelter[_2_]

Seeburg only had one jukebox that was actually called "DISCO". Actually
there was a "Discotheque" in 1965, but most people don't associate it with
the disco of the mid to late 70's.
The funny thing is that the jukebox that was named "Disco" by Seeburg isn't
normally called "the Disco jukebox" by people.
The Phoenix jukebox has the rotating mirror ball in it, so everyone calls it
the "Disco jukebox".
The Disco and the Phoenix were the same machine, only with different artwork
and the rotating mirror ball in the Phoenix, which the Disco didn't have.
Consumers think that $500.00 is a LOT of money for a jukebox, so they say
that prices are sky high. The funny thing is that those are the same people
who will pay $2,000.00 for a crappy 70's jukebox if the stick it in an
antique mall because they don't know any better and really want one for
their gameroom or home bar.

Old August 11th 08, 06:21 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Aug 3, 1:18 am, wrote:
Jukeboxes aren't worth what they used to be. I see alot these days on
Ebay that can't get a bid, even at low (no reserve) auctions. Certain
models are still worth big bucks (if you can fined a buyer). Younger
people are only interested in Ipods and Itunes on the computer. The
good old days are really gone for good. I wish I had room, I would
start a real collection. Oh well, time moves on.

Actually there was an article in the (Brisbane Australia) Sunday Mail
about jukeboxes being worth "up to $20,000" ($1AU = $0.88 US) and
that "anyone who has a jukebox, working or not, has a "rock solid
appreciating asset"

Either I'm missing something, they are a bit behind the times, or
wildly inaccurate.
Old August 19th 08, 10:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
The Doctor

"Ken G." wrote in message

I thought Seeburg had 2 or 3 `disco` machines ?

Every `off street` average consumer i meet and the subject comes up all
think jukeboxes are worth very high prices .

......and the last in the Disco Series, or the STD 1, 2, & 3 series,
was the Prelude, which in my opinion, was the prettiest of them all.
The machine had infinity lighting where the ball would've been and
smoked glass throughout the front. I think Seeburg did a nice job
retrofitting these cabs from a run of 8 years into these...even though
they're not my cup of tea, I have a friend who is a FIEND for these
boxes. He has something like 12 of them, all in various states of
restoration. He is aspiring to have one of each of the model series
STD's (I wish they'd change that name, though!)
Norm
Old August 20th 08, 12:47 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Keith Stelter[_2_]

"Ken G." wrote in message

I thought Seeburg had 2 or 3 `disco` machines ?

Every `off street` average consumer i meet and the subject comes up all
think jukeboxes are worth very high prices .

.....and the last in the Disco Series, or the STD 1, 2, & 3 series,
was the Prelude, which in my opinion, was the prettiest of them all.
The machine had infinity lighting where the ball would've been and
smoked glass throughout the front. I think Seeburg did a nice job
retrofitting these cabs from a run of 8 years into these...even though
they're not my cup of tea, I have a friend who is a FIEND for these
boxes. He has something like 12 of them, all in various states of
restoration. He is aspiring to have one of each of the model series
STD's (I wish they'd change that name, though!)
Norm

AMEN TO THAT!
But remember that those jukes were made when "VD" was the term.

Old February 18th 11, 09:33 AM
oldschool oldschool is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

"Ken G." wrote in message

I thought Seeburg had 2 or 3 `disco` machines ?

Every `off street` average consumer i meet and the subject comes up all
think jukeboxes are worth very high prices .

......and the last in the Disco Series, or the STD 1, 2, & 3 series,
was the Prelude, which in my opinion, was the prettiest of them all.
The machine had infinity lighting where the ball would've been and
smoked glass throughout the front. I think Seeburg did a nice job
retrofitting these cabs from a run of 8 years into these...even though
they're not my cup of tea, I have a friend who is a FIEND for these
boxes. He has something like 12 of them, all in various states of
restoration. He is aspiring to have one of each of the model series
STD's (I wish they'd change that name, though!)
Norm
I think you are referring to the Seeburg SMC 1, ( Disco ) SMC 2 ( Prestige ) and the last one the SMC 3 ( Prelude ). I am currently having a SMC 3 restored and the price including the restoration is $795.00. I am located in a great area for used Jukes as I am between Rocky Mount and Charlotte NC where there are 2 HUGE entertainment companies that have been around for over 60 years and have virtually city block warehouses full of these old machines. You would not believe what they have in those warehouses sitting there collecting dust and rusting away. If you need further information on Jukeboxes, Pinball machines etc etc please email me and I will try my best to help you!
Old February 20th 11, 02:24 PM
oldschool oldschool is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
I think you are referring to the Seeburg SMC 1, ( Disco ) SMC 2 ( Phoenix ) and the last one the SMC 3 ( Prelude ). I am currently having a SMC 3 restored and the price including the restoration is $795.00. I am located in a great area for used Jukes as I am between Rocky Mount and Charlotte NC where there are 2 HUGE entertainment companies that have been around for over 60 years and have virtually city block warehouses full of these old machines. You would not believe what they have in those warehouses sitting there collecting dust and rusting away. If you need further information on Jukeboxes, Pinball machines etc etc please email me and I will try my best to help you!
Sorry but I mistyped. The SMC 2 was called the Phoenix ( everyone calls this one the Disco because it has the mirror ball ) and the last one, the SMC 3, with the star field behind smoked glass was called the Prelude.
I can tell you that they are cannibalizing the Phoenix's today and taking the mirror ball with all its mechanisms and gutting the SMC 1 Disco's dance floor design and combining the two. The results are stunning. You can get one here in the States from a company in California for around $3500.00
They are in perfect condition and well worth the cost. I have my name in right now for one of these conversions.
Old March 30th 11, 09:12 PM
Jfinch Jfinch is offline
Junior Member

I just wanted to point out, another possible reason on why younger folk aren't interested in jukeboxes, is because it's next to impossible to find new pop / rock tunes on 45s. The one time I wrote Oldies.com / collectable records asking if they would consider releasing the Mariah Carey Christmas tune onto a 45 (which now brings a fortune on Ebay), they said they were no longer releasing new titles. I bet the newest song they have on 45 is around 10-15 years old. If you can find a new-ish title on 45, they're $5 - $10. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post