345-O3D cartridge myth

Old August 25th 03, 01:38 AM
James Burke

I own (6) 345-03D used in my 100- (2) Rs, (2) C's, (1) J, and (1) G. I
didn't change any resisters and they all sound great. Of course I rebuilt
all amps too! I disagree with post. I think 300.00 is a drop in the bucket
compared with what I have invested in my jukes. IMO
"Ken G." wrote in message
I got my seeburg G all restored and had the opportunity to try a brand
new O3D cartridge .
The cartridge that is in my machine now is a gold colored aluminum cased
one the same physical size as the original red head .. numbers are
rubbed off , no info .

this gold cartridge sounds twice as good as the O3D it has more gain and
far more trebble and bass . All i can really describe is the needle is
tiny L shaped and comes with a little tool to install it .

I am glad i never pain 300$ for an O3D and will cant understand why
these are so highly rated .
I can understand maybe modifying the amp for this but why when you can
get a cartridge for 25$ that sounds better .

Old August 25th 03, 05:29 AM
george craig

The cartridge load resistor was 12K in my ''G'' and 47K in my friends ''R"
this could change
the HF response ...I put in 47K in my ''G" amp and it sounds great with the
345-03D....
-George
news

Old August 25th 03, 10:04 AM
James Burke

All this resister talk is sparking my interest. Could someone explain which
resister is replaced and where it's located? Thanks fellow Jukeboxers!

Old August 26th 03, 12:38 AM
Ken G.

Thanks for posting the resistor .

Well ok .. things sound good to some people that are only fair to ok . I
have worked in the repair business for 25+ years and find many people
like that , ``long as it makes sound without static``

The 345 cartridge sounded ok but compared to the gold cartridge i have
it sounded weak and low , i stood here & tried them back & fourth .
Now that i know which resistor it is i will try changing it to see what
happens . This gold cartridge sounds super aleady i cant emagine how it
would be with the resistor changed .. we`ll see :-)

Old August 26th 03, 02:32 AM
george craig

Ken , the gold cartridge may be a crystal type with high output,..Can you
measure DC continuity through it??? -George

Old September 3rd 03, 06:52 AM
Ken G.

It is a magnetic cartridge it measures with an ohm meter and i saw the
coil while i had it apart restoring it .