Completed Dansco 7070 Type Set now with Gold page completed

Old December 4th 04, 10:24 PM
Ian

Default Completed Dansco 7070 Type Set now with Gold page completed

Barry wrote:
I picked up the last 3 Gold coins I needed for the album in Baltomore,
and put a set of pics together today. Take a look he
http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=345633
One of these days, I'll put it on a web page of my own.

A warning to dial uppers - the pics are between 70-100K each and there
are 12 of them.
Barry
--
Note - Remove the X from my e-mail address for direct replies

Wow! That's some set of coins you have there Barry. Well done and
congratulations.

Not wanting to rain on the parade of such a display of accomplishment
and beautiful coins, but I was left wondering why `classic'
commemorative coins like the Lafayette $, the Isobella $1/4, and a whole
host of my fav. commem $1/2 have been left out (?). Mind you I know
ziltch about Dansco albums.

Ian
Old December 4th 04, 10:28 PM
Harv

"Barry" wrote in message
I picked up the last 3 Gold coins I needed for the album in Baltomore,
and put a set of pics together today. Take a look he
http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=345633

Now THAT'S what I call roll searching.. imagine, just picking up coins like
that. Most people have to pay for them!!..

::giggle::

Congratulations..

Harv
(Green with envy.. or verdegris, or mold or something..) ..

Old December 4th 04, 10:42 PM
James Higby

There is a separate Dansco album for classic commems. That said, I have
found quirky logic to be the rule regarding the contents of lots of albums,
Dansco and others. I made a recent post to that effect, but don't remember
the thread heading, as it was someone else's.

"Ian" wrote in message
.uk...

Old December 4th 04, 11:17 PM
Harv

"Barry" wrote in message

Ian,
The album contains 4 holes for 50 cent commems, and I decided to leave
those empty. Why? Because I have no interest in commems and also
because I think it was a poor use of space by Dansco. To anticipate
your next question - why did I include the Buffalo dollar? Because I
already had it :.)

As an example, there are 3 different IHC types, with minor variations
included, yet there's no no-star Seated variety and also no $3 Gold.

Get out your Swiss Army Knife and widen those 50 cent holes and you can cram
both Pan Pacific $50.00 Golds into them, and you can stuff a High Relief
Saint into the other one..

THEN your album will be complete .. No wait, it won't.. you also need a
1921 Peace, and a bunch of other varieties they didn't make holes for..

Harv - amazing what can be found in the reject slot of a Coinstar
machine, isn't it? :.)
Barry

Yeah it is. I found a few really bent dimes once.. ..

Harv

Old December 4th 04, 11:24 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
"Harv" wrote:

THEN your album will be complete .. No wait, it won't.. you also need a
1921 Peace, and a bunch of other varieties they didn't make holes for..

I wonder if the slots in the Dansco Type Set album were chosen for
affordibility. Perhaps they left out the greater rarities.
Old December 4th 04, 11:45 PM
Harv

"Scot Kamins" wrote in message
In article ,
"Harv" wrote:

THEN your album will be complete .. No wait, it won't.. you also need

1921 Peace, and a bunch of other varieties they didn't make holes for..

I wonder if the slots in the Dansco Type Set album were chosen for
affordibility. Perhaps they left out the greater rarities.

Yeah but, it still doesn't make sense to me.. it has holes for all the US
Gold coins, well, almost all of them, ALL of which cost more than a 1921
Peace Dollar, in, say, AU, (about $125.00).. which IS an important one year
variety.. and no hole for 40% Silver Kennedy Halves.. which is just as much
a variety as War Nickels are.. and they have a hole..

I mean something worth doing is worth doing right, and it seems Dansco made
some very odd choices on which varieties to include and which to ignore..
but still, Barry did a helluva job filling it up.. I'd love to own a type
set like that..

The only thing remotely like this that I have is a HUUUUUUGE Capitol Holders
20th Century Type Collection.. that I put together hmm.. over 25 years ago..
thank God there were no holes for Gold coins in it at all, even though there
are, obviously, 20th Century Gold coins.. else they would still be empty..
So is it really a 20th Century Type Set??.. Well Capitol Plastics calls it
that, but with no Gold, it really isn't.. That enormous slab of plastic
(damn thing cost me like $60.00 just for the holder).. has five, I think,
Kennedy Half holes - 1964 Silver, 40% Silver, Clad, BiCentennial and Proof,
or something like that, three different Ike holes.. but since it was made so
many years ago there's an SBA hole but no hole for a Brass Buck or a State
Quarter..

There is absolutely no consistancy to the quality of the coins that I put in
it, as I did it on a tight budget, very quickly, so many years ago.. the
1943 Steel Cent, for intance, is re-processed, the IHC is circulated, but
the 1963 Quarter is one that I have looked at for many years wondering how
high a grade it would slab.. I mean it is really gemmy.. and the holder has
so many screws holding the three layers together, I told myself "Self, I'm
going to fill up all of these holes and never take all these damn screws out
again!" And I did, and I didn't..

Harv

Old December 5th 04, 12:00 AM
Bob Flaminio

Barry wrote:
As an example, there are 3 different IHC types, with minor variations
included, yet there's no no-star Seated variety and also no $3 Gold.

The one that always boggles me is how they include the CuNi and Copper
IHCs, but not the Copper and Zinc Memorial cents. Either make a metal
distinction, or don't, but be consistent about it.

That said, awesome set dude!

--
Bob

Old December 5th 04, 01:12 AM
John Carney

"Barry" wrote in message
I picked up the last 3 Gold coins I needed for the album in Baltomore,
and put a set of pics together today. Take a look he
http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=345633
One of these days, I'll put it on a web page of my own.

A warning to dial uppers - the pics are between 70-100K each and there
are 12 of them.
Barry
--
Note - Remove the X from my e-mail address for direct replies

Excellent Barry! That is one pretty set. Whoever helped you pick out that
1803 LC has a great eye D

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mysite.verizon.net/jcarney44/coins/rccers.html

Old December 5th 04, 01:17 AM
John Carney

"Phil DeMayo" wrote

My plan is to buy the coins slabbed and put them in Eagle albums for

slabs.
That way I get to pick the make-up of the set. I'm even "anal" enough to

make
sure they are all slabbed by the same grading service for a consistent

look.

Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits

I'm thinking about doing an Eagle album Type set. I don't think I'll go the
slab album route, but something similar to what you did with your Kennedy
and Franklin sets.