Power failure a pain with 90+ degree temps.

Old July 5th 03, 10:46 AM
JSTONE9352

Default Power failure a pain with 90+ degree temps.

Just got my power back after being out since about 12:30 PM yesterday
afternoon due to a tree branch knocking down a power line during a thunder
storm.. The board of water and light had a devil of a time dealing with it due
to a 12 inch thick limb hanging on some of the wires. They couldn't figure out
how to get it down without taking down the rest of the wires with it. They had
ropes
attached to various parts of the limb to provide some support and attached it
to other nearby trees and the cherry picker they were working from. It was
also
close to smashing a backyard shed to pieces it they just let it fall directly
down. Somehow they figured out how to handle it. When it gets light outside
I'm going to walk over there and see what they did. Its hell trying to sleep
with no air conditioning or fans in this kind of hot weather. Several hundred
of
us were without power. Most people spent the day outside due to the houses
being too uncomfortable to be in.

Old July 5th 03, 08:52 PM
Michael G. Koerner

JSTONE9352 wrote:

[...]

Ahhhh, the 'good old days'!

:-)

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old July 5th 03, 09:33 PM
Harv

"JSTONE9352" wrote in message
Its hell trying to sleep
with no air conditioning or fans in this kind of hot weather. Several

hundred
of
us were without power. Most people spent the day outside due to the

houses
being too uncomfortable to be in.

You have my sympathies. but imagine Summer in the mid to late 19th century,
say "Bonanza" (Civil War era) or "Gunsmoke" (1875-ish) era.. Yeah they had
lots of neat coins and currency but..

To light your home you had candles or oil lamps. There wasn't any piped in
gas yet and no electricity.
Refrigeration? Forget it. If you were lucky there was an ice house within
horsing distance and you could haul some ice back home in blocks that might
be the size of marbles by the time you got home..

Running water? Sorry.. either you lived near a river, a spring, a pond, or a
lake, and carried buckets, or trucked barrells, and got to drink whatever
was living in it, or you had a well with a hand pump outside, or if you
spent the money, ran pipes from your well into your kitchen and had a hand
pump there. And since horses provided the transportation, you had to keep
them watered and fed unless you wanted horizontal horses..

(Bonanza ran from 1959 to 1975, Gunsmoke ran from 1955 to 1975, two of the
most popular prime time network shows in the history of teevee, and I don't
believe in one single episode you ever saw anyone use an outhouse or even
mention one.. now the Japanese have developed Internet-connected toilets and
if your doctor needs a "sample" one of those can provide it over the net
without the need for an office visit)..

Communication with a friend or relative who lived beyond horsing distance?
Go to town and send a telegram. Wait for a reply days later. When Lincoln
was assassinated, the bulk of the US didn't even know about it for days or
weeks. Europe didn't know about it until the first ships with newspapers
landed in Ireland..

We take so much modern technology for granted these days, and that's not
even getting into modern medicine, which has extended the average lifespan
of someone living in a civilized country by decades.. by yesterday's
standards, we're super advanced spacemen. By the standards of the future,
we're still primitive apes..

A hundred years from now, they'll look back on us and talk about how
primitive _we_ were.. I wonder what they'll think of our modern coins in a
hundred years. I wonder if they'll even still be using coins in a hundred
years.. as it is right now, you can go out shopping, buy food, buy almost
anything, eat out, go to a show, put gas in your car, and not have a single
coin or bill on you..

Harv