eBay changes in the works

Old July 3rd 03, 10:57 PM
Reid Goldsborough

Default eBay changes in the works

From "eBay, SBA Team Up"
http://ecommerce.internet.com/news/n...229861,00.html

Wonder if the first change below will involve coin auctions...

"In a keynote address at eBay Live!, Whitman outlined eBay's newest
initiatives in areas that most affect its buyers and sellers -- trust
and safety measures. Whitman underscored the progress the company has
made in its ongoing efforts to minimize fraudulent activity on the
site when she announced the company's plans to introduce a buyer
protection program through PayPal....

"One of the new buyer protection programs aims to build trust between
buyers and sellers. Beginning this fall, the company will increase the
amount of buyer protection available to $500 with no service fees. The
new plan will cover about half of all listings on eBay and will be
available in the United States and Canada. The program will cover
non-delivery of items and items that are substantially not as
described.

"In order to protect sellers from non-paying buyers, eBay will begin
this month to limit the number of bids a user with non-paying buyer
complaints can make. Additionally, the company is currently
experimenting in select categories with Immediate-Payment, a PayPal
solution that effectively removes the risk of non-payment by
automatically charging the buyer's credit card or bank account on
Buy-It-Now transactions."

--

Coin Collecting: Consumer Guide: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old July 4th 03, 07:21 PM
Fred A. Murphy

On 3-Jul-2003, Reid Goldsborough wrote:

Beginning this fall, the company will increase the
amount of buyer protection available to $500 with no service fees. The
new plan will cover about half of all listings on eBay and will be
available in the United States and Canada.

Unfortunately, the half of all listings it covers are the ones which don't
accept PP, and by the time they are done with restrictions and paperwork,
this will be another ebaY "benefit" that is about as useless as their health
insurance for parfulsellers.

"In order to protect sellers from non-paying buyers, eBay will begin
this month to limit the number of bids a user with non-paying buyer
complaints can make.

Of course, no one tells anyone outside of ebaY how many NPB someone has, or
for that matter, how many FVF complaints, so they can enforce this rule any
way they please, too.

Additionally, the company is currently
experimenting in select categories with Immediate-Payment, a PayPal
solution that effectively removes the risk of non-payment by
automatically charging the buyer's credit card or bank account on
Buy-It-Now transactions."

And forces people to use PP, of course.

Wonder when they're going to automatically NARU people when they reach -4FB,
which could have been easily done all along?
--

"The starting pay for a pilot at American Eagle is $16,800 a year. Never
let someone fly you up in the air who's making less than the kid at Taco
Old July 4th 03, 10:13 PM
Byron L. Reed

I've been noticing the link to show what the new auction pages will look like. It must
not be far off, because this morning I was using the ebay.de (German) site and those pages
were already in place.

BLReed

Remove the "R_E_M_O_V_E" from the email address to reply directly.
Cool things: http://www.byronreed.com/byrons_collections/default.htm
Talk bust coins: http://www.byronreed.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old July 5th 03, 01:57 AM
Fred A. Murphy

On 4-Jul-2003, Byron L. Reed wrote:

I've been noticing the link to show what the new auction pages will look
like. It must
not be far off, because this morning I was using the ebay.de (German) site
and those pages were already in place.

They have been experimenting on at least the de and ca sites, perhaps all
the non-US ones.

The main welcome difference is that users will not be able to use body
backgrounds (or presumably java****) except in their own portion of the
page. No more flashing or stupid pattern backgrounds that make it
impossible to read the ebaY info. It will also put the bidding info in
clearer view and make it easier to snipe manually by having it at the top of
the page. Of course, that will make it that much easier for bidders to
ignore shipping terms, too. Those using noPix will get a bonus image at the
top to make up for the lousy service.

Here's the release:

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/marketing.shtml
Date: 07/02/03 Time: 01:37:53 PM PDT
In about a week, we will introduce a new Item Page. Based on member input,
we've reorganized this page to make it easier to use. Several new features
have been added to make the bidding and buying process easier to understand.
As before, you can see how your item will appear with the new look and feel
of the page to help you get ready for the change. To try it, click on the
"See this item in eBay's new look for this page" link in the top right-hand
corner of a current Item Page.

Old July 5th 03, 02:38 AM
A.Gent

"Fred A. Murphy" wrote in message

The main welcome difference is that users will not be able to use body
backgrounds (or presumably java****) except in their own portion of the
page. No more flashing or stupid pattern backgrounds that make it
impossible to read the ebaY info.

Yes.
They even manage to make ah-collectibullsh pages look a *little* less childish
and amateurish.

Now if they could just teach sellers to use the p tag, and to turn off CAPS
LOCK.

Old July 5th 03, 05:31 AM
Fred A. Murphy

On 4-Jul-2003, "A.Gent" wrote:

Now if they could just teach sellers to use the p tag, and to turn off
CAPS LOCK.

That's not caps lock. EbAy still has some TRS-80 servers.

Old July 5th 03, 04:06 PM
John Baumgart

I'm always leary about certain organizations doing things they call
"improvements." The group that strikes the most fear in me when mentioning
"improvements" is our corporate IT department. My reaction to most of their
improvement announcements usually involves one or more expletives. While
eBay hasn't quite earned the same dubious distinction, I still meet such
announcements from them with an "uh oh."

John Baumgart

Ebay Email Scams.........Letter and Ebay response CalRima Autographs 2 August 23rd 04 02:43 AM
Ebay autograph policy Gummby3 Autographs 0 April 16th 04 01:29 AM
do not forward OFF this group that Xlist dahoov2 Autographs 4 March 9th 04 03:45 AM
eBay spoofs John Yamamoto-Wilson Books 0 January 23rd 04 12:46 AM
Ebay FRAUD alert ThomasTeeter Juke Boxes 6 January 22nd 04 04:34 AM