Weird eBay Interactions ... IMO

Old July 3rd 03, 04:33 AM
Nick Knight

Default Weird eBay Interactions ... IMO

I've had a few puzzling interactions on eBay that I thought I'd share.

A new seller was selling a book on Paper Money. I had this on my "want
list" and at $5 it was OK, but he wanted too much to ship it. So I wrote
him and asked if he had a bookrate shipping option. I got back an empty
email from the guy ... not even a subject, and no body text. I gave up and
the book went unsold.

It was relisted ... interesting. Shipping was reduced to $2 media mail (if
I remember correctly). I snipped it and won (at $5). But that's not the
odd part. The seller had posted positive feedback for the deal before I
could even THINK about asking about payment options. "Prompt payment"? I
was faster than I even realized! I did get the book in reasonable time, and
I did leave + feedback.

Something similar. I emailed a seller about 2 similar items he was selling,
and he confirmed for me that he would combine shipping. He said he would,
so I BIN'd both items. This was a day or two ago, and I have yet to pay (I
should do that tonight), but I've already got 2 positive feedbacks declaring
me a prompt-paying buyer. Uuuuuuhhhhhhh? Is this a new technique of some
kind?

Finally, I'm the seller in this case. I've been slowly selling off my huge
collection of OS/2 books, and I've connected with some great deals via eBay.
But my last 2 books each went for a song ... the $1.95 starting bid. Ok, I
was a little disappointed, but a deal's a deal. As I do out of habit and to
protect myself, the listing offered an option for insurance at $1.30 w/ $3
for media mail shipping (book was ~3 pounds). The fellow paid $1.30 to
insure a $1.95 purchase. Why?

Curious about postal insurance. If this book gets lost, what value is
placed on it? Is its value a mere $1.95? Or the $10 I insured it for (I
was too embarrased to say "insure it for $1.95" to the postal clerk! .
What would they go by??

Nick
Old July 3rd 03, 02:03 PM
Doggo

"Nick Knight" wrote in message
[...]

break

Could be the seller entered the wrong buyer for FB.

[...]

I was told you can insure for whatever dollar amount you want to, you just
have to prove it's worth what you want to collect in insurance. So, I would
say they would go with $1.95. Unless it's worth more and you can prove it.
--
Ed
'Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis.'

Nick

Old July 5th 03, 07:43 PM
Sue

From: "Nick Knight"

The fellow paid $1.30 to
insure a $1.95 purchase. Why?

The only explanation is that s/he never took economic analysis
in school and engages in irrational decision-making.

(It never ceases to amaze me how often people fail
to crunch the numbers. I've given up explaining
it to them. [shrug])

Purrrz,

Sue