I know what I want but does it exist?

Old September 21st 03, 11:48 PM
Penny Howland

Default I know what I want but does it exist?

I am looking for a pen like the Pelikan 800, but less expensive for an
everyday pen. I like the ink capacity, the girth, the filler mechanism...(I
fill my pens daily) My pens get a lot of banging around. They are out and
in use constantly, sometimes would getting hits on bars (at the jail), cap
on and off a lot. I have an 800 but can't stand to think of taking it to
the jail....and that is just one of my jobs...I have two part time jobs and
they are constantly being knocked around etc. I am using Safari and the
aluminum Safari but don't like the small ink capacity and I am just sick of
them. I was wondering if the Pelikan made a less expensive "800" but
haven't seen one. Any ideas? Thanks. Penny

Old September 22nd 03, 01:35 AM
so what

Penny my friend, what you need is the (approx.) 20.00..................rOtring
Core! Made for prison use and other branches of junior high, this thing would
probably scare the inmates a new haircolour. Levenger (Del Ray, FL) has 'em:
www.levenger.com.
psssst!! pick the ORANGE one!

titanic cruise? I think not;
much safer on the ruby yacht
Old September 22nd 03, 03:04 AM
Henry

hmm.....I'm lucky since I was able to get a M200 to be my everyday pen
instead of allowing my M405 experience abuse from everyday school use.

Old September 22nd 03, 04:20 AM
David Heverly

"Penny Howland" wrote in message m...
I am looking for a pen like the Pelikan 800, but less expensive for an
everyday pen. I like the ink capacity, the girth, the filler mechanism...(I
fill my pens daily) My pens get a lot of banging around. .... Any ideas? Thanks. Penny

Penny:

You may want to look at a Pelikan M75 (aka: Pelikan Go!) fountain pen.
It's an out of production fountain pen that Pelikan made in the
mid-80's to early 90's and sold only in Europe. Someone on the
newsgroup wrote about it and compared it favorably to more expensive
pens.

Based on the recommendation, I bought one. I must confess to being
very impressed. Even though it was probably marketed as a school pen,
it's a solid pen with a smooth nib, good ink flow AND a piston filling
system which holds far more ink than any cartridge / converter in its
class. The piston is incredibly smooth and is rumored to be the same
system used on Pelikan's more expensive fountain pens.

There was a review of it the July issue of Stylophiles.
(http://www.penlovers.com/stylophiles/july03/07go.htm)

They said, in part:

….The M75's design is plain and simple. It doesn't pretend to be a
higher-priced piece. It is large, just shy of the total length of the
M800. It's not quite as fat as the M800, but is slightly fatter than a
Parker 51; it's a nice handful. It is, of course, much lighter than
the M800, making lengthy writing comfortable. The grip area has three
sculpted spots placed perfectly for those who hold a pen with the most
common grip.

The pens are made of a solid black plastic. The only negative I have
is that I don't care for the color of the clips, which are teal or
burgundy. But then, they are made of a spring steel, instead of
plastic like some student pens.

These things are showing up all over eBay. But there's a woman who
sells them on her own web site for $10 a piece, plus $6.50 shipping
and handling. Here's the link: http://sccsales.50megs.com/page3.html
.. (Just so you know, I have the Aqua model and the green is actually
a shade or two darker than in the picture she has on her site.)

If you are looking for a smooth writer with a generous ink capacity, I
think this will fill the bill. And it's cheaper than your Lamy
Safaris.

David
Who likes "value priced" pens.
Old September 22nd 03, 06:23 AM
DovR

Penny what on earth are you doing at the jail bars ;-) Make apoint with
Pilot G2 on the prison bars, not your beloved 800.

Check out Filcao's Tukano. http://www.tryphon.it/pens/catalogo.htm
Button filler, tough, looks good., Penspiration, Parkville, Pendemonium
carry.
Have you thought about a trusty old 51.

Old September 22nd 03, 01:32 PM
David Heverly

range (so what) wrote in message ...
Penny my friend, what you need is the (approx.) 20.00..................rOtring
Core! Made for prison use and other branches of junior high, this thing would
probably scare the inmates a new haircolour. Levenger (Del Ray, FL) has 'em:
www.levenger.com.
psssst!! pick the ORANGE one!

Oh Queen of Orange:

I recently purchased a rOtring Core from Levenger. I selected the
Rexor, which is blue. I'm partial to the blue as it is really a
darker shade of Turquoise. Although, the orange model would
coordinate better with a prison jump suit.

Levenger has the Core on sale now, so it's a good time to buy from
them.

I like the Core, but I don't love it. The nib is incredibly smooth
and like all rOtrings, the ink flow is great. But I find the section
to be a bit cumbersome. I have to focus on placing my fingers in just
the right position to hold it. I just can't pick it up and write with
it. And despite the generous size of the clip, it's not pocket
friendly. The rubber on the cap "grabs" the fabric of my shirt
pocket, making it almost impossible to insert or withdraw it from a
pocket. Finally, it may be too similar to the Safari for Penny's
requirements.

On the other hand, it's great to stuff in a cluttered briefcase or
purse. It's tough as nails and, due to its shape and color, easily
found in even the most cluttered bag. Despite its size, it's
surprising light and a pleasure to write with -- once you get your
fingers in the right position. And posted, should the occasion arise,
you could probably hold an entire cell block at bay. (Attica,
Attica!!!)

David
Who wouldn't use a pocket protector -- even at gunpoint -- no matter
how much a cap "grabs" a shirt pocket.
Old September 22nd 03, 05:56 PM
Stephen Hust

"14:30" dancinglavoisier(A-T)charter.net wrote:

I'm a fan of the Parker (think it was Parker) Level.

Pelikan, not Parker.

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.
Old September 22nd 03, 06:28 PM
14:30

"Penny Howland" wrote in message
I am looking for a pen like the Pelikan 800, but less expensive for an
everyday pen. I like the ink capacity, the girth, the filler

mechanism...(I
fill my pens daily) My pens get a lot of banging around. They are out and
in use constantly, sometimes would getting hits on bars (at the jail), cap
on and off a lot. I have an 800 but can't stand to think of taking it to
the jail....and that is just one of my jobs...I have two part time jobs

and
they are constantly being knocked around etc. I am using Safari and the
aluminum Safari but don't like the small ink capacity and I am just sick

of
them. I was wondering if the Pelikan made a less expensive "800" but
haven't seen one. Any ideas? Thanks. Penny

I'm a fan of the Parker (think it was Parker) Level. There are two levels of
Level, as it were, and they're named differently in Europe and elsewhere-
you want the cheaper one. It's a decent nib, just stainless, but writes
fairly well. The pen is about $12 (with shipping, $18, from Thailand. Dunno
how DHL has prices that low). The filler mechanism won some sort of award.
It's not the standard vareity of mechanism; the ink bottle that comes with
your pen has a connector on it... sort of like refilling a butane lighter,
but there's no preassure involved. The ink capacity is ENOURMOUS. Sadly,
mine was "borrowed" and never returned after about a week of using it, and I
haven't replaced it yet, but I did really enjoy it. They come in several
cool colours, and if you don't like the standard Parker Blue that comes with
it, you can refill their inkpot with anything you like. The only thing is,
it's not for someone who likes to change ink coulours everyday, though for
the price, you could have several of them lying about.
~14:30

Old September 22nd 03, 10:11 PM
Penny Howland

"Penny Howland" wrote in message
I am looking for a pen like the Pelikan 800, but less expensive for an
everyday pen. I like the ink capacity, the girth, the filler

mechanism...(I
fill my pens daily) My pens get a lot of banging around. They are out and
in use constantly, sometimes would getting hits on bars (at the jail), cap
on and off a lot. I have an 800 but can't stand to think of taking it to
the jail....and that is just one of my jobs...I have two part time jobs

and
they are constantly being knocked around etc. I am using Safari and the
aluminum Safari but don't like the small ink capacity and I am just sick

of
them. I was wondering if the Pelikan made a less expensive "800" but
haven't seen one. Any ideas? Thanks. Penny

Thanks for the suggestions, I am "researching" all of them. P

Old September 22nd 03, 11:03 PM
David Heverly

[...]

As Steven points out, it's a Pelikan, not a Parker. The source I
identified for the Pelikan M75 ( http://sccsales.50megs.com/page3.html
)
also sells the Pelikan Level as well.

My understanding of the Level is that it fills via some sort of
capillary action. The ink is "wicked" up into the body of the pen. I
believe the original Parker 61 used a similar system. There are
probably are other pens and manufacturers that used this method.
Intersting idea, but one which never caught on.

For me, one of the appealing aspects of using a fountain pen is the
ability to use a variety colors (orange, turquoise, aurora black, et.
al.) and brands. I suppose that's still possible with the Level, but
the filling system just adds a degree of complexity and probably some
unintended color mixing. I like drawing up some ink or dropping in a
cartridge and going off to meet the world.

David
Who shudders to think what kind of mess mixing orange, turquoise and
aurora black inks would make. Yikes!!!