Ben Franklin C&C is a beautiful piece of work

Old May 21st 06, 10:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Ben Franklin C&C is a beautiful piece of work

Kudos to The Mint and the other gubmint agencies involved. This set is
really the nicest of all the "coin and [other stuff]" sets I've seen yet.
Beautifully presented and put together - looking through the reproduction of
Poor Richard's Almanack is really a gas. I only ordered one, got it today,
after an agonizing five month wait (what the Hell took so long anyway!?)..
sat there staring at the shrinkwrap, carefully slit it at the mouth opening,
although I left the wrap around the cardboard case and slid the contents out
to have a look.

If you bought more than one of these to re-sell, do yourself a favor and
keep at least one for yourself, slit that wrap and have a look at what's
inside. The pictures of opened ones in some sellers' auctions don't do it
justice. It puts the Buffalo Dollar C&C set, the Lewis and Clark set and
the Millenium set to shame, in my opinion. If you missed out on it (sold out
in ten days along with all the other Ben Franklin Dollar products..) ..
well, the going price on eBay seems to be in the $90-$100 range already
(issue price was $65.00).. and there are hundreds listed.. Hell, I might
even grab myself another one before they shoot up higher.. but it's really a
beautiful piece. Strange to say, the Dollar coin itself almost seems like an
afterthought in this set. I think the Almanack reproduction is really the
star of the show.

Harv