1917 Two Dollar Bill

Old September 16th 03, 01:36 AM
LeaNecia

Default 1917 Two Dollar Bill

We just received a 1917 Two Dollar Bill and was wondering if they are
worth anything other than two dollars. It is larger than the current
two dollar bills.
Old September 16th 03, 05:10 PM
Coin Saver

From: LeaNecia

is a large 1917 Two Dollar Bill worth anything other than two dollars

Definitely. But to be able to give any sensible range of retail value, a lot
more information about it is needed. For example, what color is the seal /
serial number, what is the general condition (folds, coloring, rips & tears,
etc.)

8-/

Coin Saver
Old September 16th 03, 08:26 PM
Anonymous Joe

"LeaNecia" wrote in message
m...
We just received a 1917 Two Dollar Bill and was wondering if they are
worth anything other than two dollars. It is larger than the current
two dollar bills.

Yes, that would be the Legal Tender....a series which doesn't exit anymore
(if you noticed, all of our currency says Federal Reserve Note on the top)

In a fairly worn condition, it is worth about $50. There are then 4 more
conditions of noticeable wear, with the first being called Very Good, the
2nd Fine, the 3rd Very Fine, the 4th is Extremly Fine (from there there is
About Uncirculated and in an Uncirculated State, there are 10 different
grades...60,61,62...70, but your note is likely to be in the first 4
categories).

Anyways, in VG it is $50, F is $70, VF is $90, XF is $110. There could
always be some interesting feature, ie, a low serial number, a rarer
stamp/seal, or a star note (if the serial number has 1 star and 1 letter and
the normal 8 numbers, instead of the common 2 letters and 8 numbers, this
can make it worth much more, although I can't say how much).

A note is only worth how much one can get for it. Post a picture and we can
tell you what it should be worth, or search eBay for some notes that are
being sold, search for just like 1917 VG, then 1917 F, 1917 VF, 1917 XF.
That should give you a pretty good idea of what each grade should like like,
and what your note is, and thus, it's value.

Personally, I don't have one of these, so I would keep it