Advice for a newbee

Old August 26th 04, 06:15 AM
Mebsuta

Default Advice for a newbee

Hello all,

Simply, what would be a good fountain pen for a beginner? I have no
experience at all with these, but I must have one. I'm leaning toward
Pelikan because of the great reviews I've read, and their esthetics.
Love that blue and silver 805!

I started researching pens for my wedding guest book because I wanted
a good signature pen (which is not a FP I learned) and came across
Joon.com. Well, I was stunned and I'll leave it at that. Now that I'm
fixated on fountain pens, I'll be going to Dromgoole's (shameful plug)
in Houston this weekend to test drive a few

I'd love to get a Pelikan M805 but I'm just a working stiff and can't
justify the cost. So my question is how do the experts like the
Pelikan 200 Demonstrator series?

Is it a good writer?
Does quality extend down the Pelikan line?

Thank you guys and gals for any words of wisdom.
Old August 26th 04, 10:05 AM
Free Citizen

Performance wise, there isn't much of a difference. Depends on the level of
finish you are willing to pay for.

--
Best regards,
Free Citizen

om...

Old August 26th 04, 02:03 PM
Clawhound

Mebsuta wrote:

[...]

I bought myself a Pekican cheapie for work. $20 or so. I rather like it.
I really wanted a bright yellow one, but they had no fine nibs in stock,
so I got a green one instead.

Think about picking up a refurbished "working class" pen, like an
Esterbrook. They look spiffy and write well, and can be had for a modest
cost. Heck, there's a world full of vintage, sharp looking pen that
write great, and don't cost too much.

CH
Old August 26th 04, 02:21 PM
mz

Mebsuta wrote:

with snipping

I started researching pens for my wedding guest book because I wanted
a good signature pen (which is not a FP I learned) and came across
Joon.com. Well, I was stunned and I'll leave it at that. Now that I'm
fixated on fountain pens, I'll be going to Dromgoole's (shameful plug)
in Houston this weekend to test drive a few

Others have begun to answer your question about which pen to
get, and you'll receive more. Also see the thread "Please,
Name a no-skip everyday writer FP; M or B nib; piston.."

I'm interested in learning why you think an FP is not a good
signature pen. Many people here, including yours truly, have
pens with nibs that really work only as signature pens.

Mark Z.
Who is that Yours Truly guy anyway? He pops up everywhere,
but nobody remembers seeing him.
Old August 26th 04, 05:17 PM
KCat

Simply, what would be a good fountain pen for a beginner? I have no
experience at all with these, but I must have one. I'm leaning toward
Pelikan because of the great reviews I've read, and their esthetics.
Love that blue and silver 805!

Try those Pels. Drom's is sooo pricey but they're great about test driving
for sure. Buy some ink there if nothing else. Try the new Noodler's!

I started researching pens for my wedding guest book because I wanted
a good signature pen (which is not a FP I learned) and came across
Joon.com.

don't understand this comment - unless the guest book paper just didn't like
FP ink which is not the FP's fault. :-)

The only problem I have with the translucents (200 "demonstrators) ) is that
they show scratches more than the other Pel finishes IMO. But they are
pretty.

depends on the size that you are comfortable with as well. 200s are
considered small by some, they're perfect for me. 400s are the same size,
but with cellulose acetate barrels instead of whatever the plastic is used
on the 200s. The 600, 800 and 1000 are progressively larger, heavier pens.
The quality is good throughout IMO.

but I'm biased. I love Pels.

Old August 26th 04, 06:20 PM
svejk

The Pelikan 200 has been called the no regret fountain pen. I
certainly have no regrets over mine. Good quality, good price; I like
writing with it.

Be sure that you like to write with a large fountain pen like the 800
before laying down that amount of cash. I find the Peliakn 200 - 400
size just right for long periods of writing; larger pens make my
fingers cramp. (The 405 looks great, too.)

I would recommend not bothering with the Pelikan 250. A poor (cheap)
gold nib is less good for writing than a good steel nib. And the nib
is really the nub of the question when considering a fountain pen for
writing. Other than the disappointing nib on my 250 (That nib is in a
box, a cheaper steel nib is used with contentment) I have had good
experience with Peliakn nibs.

Remember that the paper and the ink make a difference as well. Pick
up a Clairfontaine pad to see what good paper is all about. With a
piston filling pen like the 200 comes the freedom to choose from among
the daily increasing number of good inks. With that freedom comes the
act of frequently giving your credit card number to online merchants
of same.

A Pelikan 200, good ink, good paper, sure you could do better (and
spend more) but you probably won't ever go back.

Old August 26th 04, 10:40 PM
kg

"Mebsuta" wrote in message
om...
Hello all,

Simply, what would be a good fountain pen for a beginner? I have no
experience at all with these, but I must have one. I'm leaning toward
Pelikan because of the great reviews I've read, and their esthetics.
Love that blue and silver 805!

I'd love to get a Pelikan M805 but I'm just a working stiff and can't
justify the cost. So my question is how do the experts like the
Pelikan 200 Demonstrator series?

Is it a good writer?
Does quality extend down the Pelikan line?

Thank you guys and gals for any words of wisdom.

Check out http://www.oscarbraunpens.com/ or
http://www.swisherpens.com/index.html for a nice selection Pam at Oscar's
is a bit cheaper, usually, than Chuck at Swisher's, but Chuck has a better
web site and lists prices. You can't go too far wrong with the Pelikan 200.
I have a couple of the translucent models and they write very well and are
extremely reliable - no skipping, writes first time every time, fills easy,
etc. Great nib selection too. If you want to go cheaper, there are pens
out there that will do as well in some respects but for my money, the
Pelikan is best all around. I agree with Kcat, the translucent models do
scratch easily but that is easily buffed out as well.

As per the advice to go vintage - that's good advice, but you really need to
do your homework before jumping off in the vintage market, especially on
ebay. If you don't you will end up with a lot of junk - I know, I've been
there. Try http://www.penhero.com/ for a great site that will provide
lots of information on vintage pens and the bookmark section is a treasure
trove of great links to sites that will give you the information you need to
head into the vintage pen game.
David Nishimura's site http://www.vintagepens.com/index.htm is also a
wonderful site for information.

I'm a vintage pen person for the most part. I do use several moderns and
those are usually Pelikans - although the vintage Pel's are some of the
best pens you will find .... As you can tell, getting into FP's can be a
dangerous business! Good Luck -

BTW: Try out Jeffery Stone - there's one somewhere in the Galleria and one
on Westheimer a couple of blocks east of Beltway 8, north side of the road.

kelly g

Old August 26th 04, 11:09 PM
Bluesea

"Mebsuta" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, Pelikan is good. So much so that Cross uses their nibs as well as those
by Namiki. So, another option for you if you want a Pelikan nib is a
lower-end Cross product. For example, IIRC, the Cross ATX stainless steel
nibs are made by Pelikan while the rhodium-plated nibs are made by Namiki.

However did you learn that a fp isn't a good signature pen??? On the
contrary, they're the best so, I suspect the source of your information
either didn't know what they're talking about or maybe it pertains only to
your guest book because not everyone knows how to write with fountain pens.
Other than that, especially if your wedding's a done deal (Congratulations!)
and you learned by experience, I'd fault the ink or paper before the fp
unless it had a broad nib that put out so much ink you could go wading.

Since a good fountain pen is one that's comfortable to hold especially over
longer writing sessions, writes the way you like, and pleases your eye...all
strictly subjective choices...you have many options by which to start your
fp life. As a working stiff, I think it'd be worth your while to try the
Lamy Safari, Waterman Phileas, rOtring Core (if you can find one - they're
discontinued), Pilot Vanishing Point, and Parker Sonnet as well as the Cross
ATX and Pelikans before you buy.

Please be sure to take a few sheets of the paper(s) that you normally use to
your test drive. You pro'lly won't be able to choose the ink which is a
crucial component of the fp writing experience, but you'll still be able to
get a good idea with the nib and paper. Decide on extra-fine, fine, medium,
or broad nibs to start (Japanese/Asian nibs run finer than Western/European
nibs so don't pick a width by the designation - try it) and also consider
stiff/springy, the degree of "bite" or smoothness, and flex (most modern
pens aren't flex nibs, that is, they can't produce a variable line width
according to the amount of pressure you use - AFAIK, the only modern pens w/
flex nibs are Namiki Falcon and Parker Sonnet... and the fine nib for my
Vanishing Point (I wasn't drinking, I swear!)).

After you narrow the field, write at least a page checking comfort for
weight, girth, balance - with cap posted & not, and if thread placement or a
flare above the nib bothers your fingers, stuff like that which might
greatly hinder enjoyment.

In general, IMO and limited experience (so many pens, so little time &
money), the most reliable pens are those made by Lamy, Namiki/Pilot, Parker,
Pelikan, rOtring, and Waterman. I'm sure there are others and since you're
not the first to ask this question, you may want to search this group for
more recommendations than this thread may provide.

Final words of wisdom:

1. Buy a bottle of Noodler's Black ink
2. Enjoy the fp experience.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old August 26th 04, 11:50 PM
Mebsuta

mz wrote in message ...
Mebsuta wrote:

with snipping

I started researching pens for my wedding guest book because I wanted
a good signature pen (which is not a FP I learned) and came across
Joon.com. Well, I was stunned and I'll leave it at that. Now that I'm
fixated on fountain pens, I'll be going to Dromgoole's (shameful plug)
in Houston this weekend to test drive a few

Others have begun to answer your question about which pen to
get, and you'll receive more. Also see the thread "Please,
Name a no-skip everyday writer FP; M or B nib; piston.."

I'm interested in learning why you think an FP is not a good
signature pen. Many people here, including yours truly, have
pens with nibs that really work only as signature pens.

Mark Z.
Who is that Yours Truly guy anyway? He pops up everywhere,
but nobody remembers seeing him.

Well, I thought I might use a FP as a guest book pen, but with all the
different people using it (up to 200) maybe the chance it could get
damaged would be to high. I'm sure they great signature pens for one
owner, but for 200?

Now I'm thinking maybe a roller ball would be a good signature pen for
about 200 people.