Mud-carved Lafayette?

Old July 3rd 04, 05:05 AM
Scot Kamins

Default Mud-carved Lafayette?

Folks,

In my never-ending search for my AU Lafayette with a well-struck horse
tail, I came across this:

It looks like it was carved out of wet mud.

Comments?

Scot Kamins
--
"Speak your truth, even as your voice quakes."

Scot Kamins
--
"Speak your truth, even as your voice quakes."
Old July 3rd 04, 05:20 AM
Bruce Hickmott

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:05:27 -0700, Scot Kamins is
alleged to have written:

Folks,

In my never-ending search for my AU Lafayette with a well-struck horse
tail, I came across this:

It looks like it was carved out of wet mud.

Comments?

Scot Kamins
--
"Speak your truth, even as your voice quakes."

Scot Kamins

That's a very weak strike. I understand that issue is very prone to weak
strikes.

Bruce

Old July 3rd 04, 07:13 AM
Phil DeMayo

Scot Kamins wrote:

Folks,

In my never-ending search for my AU Lafayette with a well-struck horse
tail, I came across this:

Wait a minute....I knew that seller iD looked familiar.

This is the same guy who seemed to have a never-ending supply of 1999 10 coin
Proof Sets from his "father's collection". He takes proof set packaging from
subsequent years, inserts the 1999 proofs into the holders along with a 1999
Proof SBA in the Sac hole and gets idiots to pay him as much as $145 for these
"rare" items.

He's been slipping one of these sets into his auctions just about each week for
several months. I once wrote him and asked him when his "father" was going to
run out of these sets and speculated that his 'dad" must be busier than a one
legged man in a butt kicking contest assembling these rarities.

Oh Look....he's got one up right now (fixed $175 price)....at least he's
dropped the claim about his "father":

Note the vague disclaimer at the bottom of his listing. He added that after I
asked him why he didn't state in his auctions that this was NOT original 1999
Mint packaging. I guess being honest and stating what I asked would have cut
into his profits.

I wouldn't buy a coin from this guy no matter how badly I wanted it.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old July 3rd 04, 07:24 AM
Phil DeMayo

minutes ago I wrote in part:

...at least he's dropped the claim about his "father"

Oops....I gave him too much credit..."This set was part of my father's
collection."

This guy is a lying scumbag.

++++++++++
Old July 3rd 04, 07:42 AM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
ulsion (Phil DeMayo) wrote:

Oh Look....he's got one up right now (fixed $175 price)....at least he's
dropped the claim about his "father":

Actually he still says "This set was part of my father's collection." :-)

Scot Kamins
--
"Speak your truth, even as your voice quakes."
Old July 3rd 04, 08:23 AM
Wheeler

Phil DeMayo wrote:

Scot Kamins wrote:

[...]

I just had to go and take a look see at what he had up today...
Would you, and anyone else that wants to grade this coin, please go
and grade it?
I think he messed up by taking a good photo of this one ;-)
What made all of these cuts? just out of a fresh roll also.....
After looking at his coin, I HAD to go and open up one of my rolls
to see if they looked like this ;-(

OR auction number 3918761756

At least THIS ONE did not come from his father............
Thanks
Roscoe
Old July 3rd 04, 03:58 PM
Earl Bollinger

You guys made me go look at my 1999 Proof Nine Coin Set. I had to go dig it
out of storage.
http://home.comcast.net/~earlwbollin...fsetmedium.jpg
Wow!, there isn't any SBA proof in my set, and it only has 9 coins in it.
I didn't know you could open these plastic coin holder cases without
damageing them.

Old July 3rd 04, 07:56 PM
Phil DeMayo

"Earl Bollinger" wrote:

You guys made me go look at my 1999 Proof Nine Coin Set. I had to go dig it
out of storage.
http://home.comcast.net/~earlwbollin...fsetmedium.jpg
Wow!, there isn't any SBA proof in my set, and it only has 9 coins in it.
I didn't know you could open these plastic coin holder cases without
damageing them.

Yep, the Mint changed the proof set packaging with the advent of the States
Quarters program in 1999. It is pretty easy to open and then re-close the
holders without any tell-tale signs.

++++++++++
Old July 3rd 04, 08:17 PM
Phil DeMayo

Wheeler wrote:

Phil.....
I just had to go and take a look see at what he had up today...
Would you, and anyone else that wants to grade this coin, please go
and grade it?
I think he messed up by taking a good photo of this one ;-)
What made all of these cuts? just out of a fresh roll also.....
After looking at his coin, I HAD to go and open up one of my rolls
to see if they looked like this ;-(

OR auction number 3918761756

At least THIS ONE did not come from his father............

He doesn't really grade it....just calls it BU.

I'd be more concerned about the claimed repunched mintmark. I don't believe I'v
heard this "error" reported by any reputable source.