Princess Di or the Great Gazoo? You decide...

Old October 13th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

Default Princess Di or the Great Gazoo? You decide...

Old October 13th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_3_]

Voltronicus wrote:

Bless her heart, the poor girl had Down Syndrome. I never knew.

Old October 13th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Voltronicus" wrote in message

She looks like Lou Costello with JFK hair.

I don't know what's happened to the art of sculpting portraits on
coins, but too many recent issues are cartoonish. People who ought to
look distinguished come out looking like they turned the job over to
someone who's last commission was a cereal-box token for Elmer Fudd.

Old October 14th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Oct 13, 2:45*pm, Voltronicus wrote:

appears to be typical Pobjoy button-factory crap. Nice to see that
Fwankie has it. I don't suppose he had to pay anything for it (by
which I mean it probably came in with a bunch of other stuff). Also
good to see he didn't spend anything extra illustrating the obverse
side!!!

He may own this one until he donates it to the Richardson Texas Boy
Scouts.

oly
Old October 14th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nobidactivity

Care to explain THIS Frankie-poo?

looks like the shill bidder got caught being the high bid. Wonder if
Marshmaker will bid on it again?

Old October 14th 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Oct 13, 11:53*pm, "Nobidactivity" wrote:
Care to explain THIS Frankie-poo?

looks like the shill bidder got caught being the high bid. *Wonder if
Marshmaker will bid on it again?

Does seem a might suspicious.
Could it be why Fwankie lost his "Power Seller" status?
Old October 14th 08, 01:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

"Nobidactivity" wrote:

looks like the shill bidder got caught being the high bid. Wonder if
Marshmaker will bid on it again?

Frank and I have had our differences. For example, the claimed "retail"
price of $50 or $55 for this coin is higher than the MS-63 listings
either at PCGS or Coinvaluesonline.

That said, Frank does offer a 14-day return privilege, and there was
plenty of time between these two auctions for the buyer to exercise
it. The buyer has bid on and won other silver dollar auctions at or
near real retail prices.

I see no reason to assume a shill transaction here.

Turning to the original coin, the title claims it's a 1997 Princess
Diana $5 Commemorative, but the description is for a 1990 Battle of
Britain commemorative $5 coin. Now _that_ would make an interesting
(and ironic) muled coin.

--
Michael Benveniste -- (Clarification required)
Don't look back. The lemmings are gaining on you.

Old October 14th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"mazorj" wrote in message

"Voltronicus" wrote in message

She looks like Lou Costello with JFK hair.

I don't know what's happened to the art of sculpting portraits on coins,
but too many recent issues are cartoonish. People who ought to look
distinguished come out looking like they turned the job over to someone
who's last commission was a cereal-box token for Elmer Fudd.

Very true, even the Royal Mint portraits have gone down the tubes. Billy

Old October 14th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Oct 14, 12:31*pm, "note.boy" wrote:
"mazorj" wrote in message

"Voltronicus" wrote in message

She looks like Lou Costello with JFK hair.

I don't know what's happened to the art of sculpting portraits on coins,
but too many recent issues are cartoonish. *People who ought to look
distinguished come out looking like they turned the job over to someone
who's last commission was a cereal-box token for Elmer Fudd.

Very true, even the Royal Mint portraits have gone down the tubes. *Billy

I'm not certain that the Royal Mint doesn't have a problem with the
people who operate/manioulate the coin presses more than the die work
itself. The newest sovereigns and half sovereigns don't always strike
well, yet those designs have been in existence a long time.

oly
Old October 14th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Oct 14, 1:31*pm, "note.boy" wrote:

Very true, even the Royal Mint portraits have gone down the tubes. *Billy

The latest protrait of the Queen is horrid.