First Try At Ironing Tape

Old December 11th 05, 12:02 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Default First Try At Ironing Tape

I finally tried to iron out some wrinked tape today with a low-temperature
iron.
I wasn't sure of the temp, so I started low and raised it from there.
It seemed to flatten-out the wrinkles, but not eliminate them; not sure if
this is all ironing can do.
It all ended bad, though.
I tried to use this same setting on my copy of 'Berlin' with the
8-track-only music. This tape (RCA cart) must have been made of different
stock or thickness, because it rolled at the edges when heat was appplied.
I just hope it sounds OK after I figure out how to open this damn RCA cart!
Is it possible w/o removing labels?
And if not, is there a good way to remove them?

Old December 11th 05, 02:25 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 00:02:37 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

I finally tried to iron out some wrinked tape today with a low-temperature
iron.
I wasn't sure of the temp, so I started low and raised it from there.
It seemed to flatten-out the wrinkles, but not eliminate them; not sure if
this is all ironing can do. snip

"Accordion" creases in most tape can be removed with the back of a
heated spoon. I hope you didn't leave the iron energized while
ironing it; the field created by the heating element will partially
erase the signal on the tape.

It all ended bad, though.
I tried to use this same setting on my copy of 'Berlin' with the
8-track-only music. This tape (RCA cart) must have been made of different
stock or thickness, because it rolled at the edges when heat was appplied. snip

Thin (.25 mil) tape will curl very easily with application of heat.
It is very important to have a piece of tempered glass on which to
iron tape, else there is no way to let it cool and flatten out again.

I just hope it sounds OK snip

If you have a good system, it won't be good. If it's a portable, who
cares?

after I figure out how to open this damn RCA cart!
Is it possible w/o removing labels? snip

Take a heated soldering iron; 25 watts will do, although 60 is faster.
Apply tip to rivet while putting opening pressure on the openings in
the front of the cart. As soon as the cart starts to open up, remove
the iron and open. Use the iron to heat up the rivet to close the
cart again.

And if not, is there a good way to remove them? snip

There is no way to successfuly remove 8 track labels.
Old December 11th 05, 04:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Do I approach the rivet from the front or rear?

Old December 11th 05, 07:39 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:07:37 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

Do I approach the rivet from the front or rear? snip

Put the soldering iron on the rivet's head while applying opening
pressure to the cart on its front openings. It's the only part of it
that's visible.
Old December 11th 05, 11:15 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Let me put it this way:
What label gets peeled?

Old December 12th 05, 01:47 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 23:15:10 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

Let me put it this way:
What label gets peeled? snip

The glue used to affix cartridge labels is generally heat
sensitive...hence the bubbling on many of them. I've steamed some to
get the entire label off a cart I was putting a custom label upon, but
have never been able to "salvage" any labels in this manner. YMMV.
Old December 12th 05, 02:32 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Front or rear gets removed?

Old December 12th 05, 02:46 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Front or rear gets removed?
I am beginning to sense ommadawn is a plant. But what the heck.

Old December 12th 05, 12:29 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

yup- someone who posts silly questions for others to try to answer

Old December 12th 05, 12:29 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

ps- notice how Bob is answering away- too funny...