Old January 15th 04, 04:43 AM
William M. Klimon

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message

Comment from a lawyer. It would seem to me that the interest that the
USPS would want to protect is that of getting a return on the investment
of providing free packaging materials. If you took their boxes and sent
them via UPS or FedEx, etc., there would be a loss of revenues to the
USPS. The use of USPS materials could then be viewed by the Feds as a
theft - either of property or services - and a theft is, of course, a
criminal act. The theft would be more than a common law offense as
government property is involved, and I believe (I have not taken the
time to look it up) there is a specific federal law dealing with theft
from the U.S. Government.

"Whoever steals, purloins, or embezzles any property used by the Postal
Service, or appropriates any such property to his own or any other than its
proper use, or conveys away any such property to the hindrance or detriment
of the public service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not
more than three years, or both; but if the value of such property does not
exceed $1,000, he shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more
than one year, or both."--18 U.S.C. sect. 1707.

The Domestic Mail Manual, which is part of the CFR by incorporation, also
specifies that any mail sent in Priority Mail packaging, no matter how
altered, is subject to Priority Mail rates. DMM E120.1.4

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com