Old November 15th 10, 02:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

Default rare-coin broker conned an elderly East Sider

On 11/14/2010 4:31 PM, Jud wrote:
Jeff...I think it's time that you resign yourself to the fact that
Reid won't admit his mistake regarding 'whizzing' and an apology isn't

Every time Jeff R. responds to one of my posts, it seems he brings up
the subject of whizzing. This was from something like six years ago.
Talking about whacko-obsessive. I have zero problem admitting I'm wrong,
and have done so online and off on numerous occasions, making mistakes
like everyone else despite taking care in trying to get things right,
and I've done so here with whizzing, admitting that the surface metal in
the fields doesn't actually melt to a liquid state.

But I'll still maintain I was correct on the core issue, that whizzing
for the most part doesn't remove metal but moves it, through plastic
deformation, as the evidence demonstrates, clear indications under
magnification that with whizzed coins metal has been pushed against
devices and legends and the fact that whizzed coins don't lose any
measurable weight compared to the official weight of coins that haven't
been doctored in this way.

This was discussed to death six years ago, and I have zero interest in
going over the same material every single time Jeff R., because of some
personal demons he must be haunted by, brings it up in discussions about
completely unrelated issues. I have no interest among other reasons
because whizzing is such a small issue in the numismatic marketplace
today, as discussed six years ago and several times afterward, since
it's a relative crude technique, easily detected, and hasn't been used
by coin doctors for the most part in some time.

What started this was this Jeff R., without having seen a whizzed coin,
attempting whizzing a coin in his metal shop to prove what whizzing
does, then making his grand pronouncements about his conclusions, and
only afterward asking here if anyone could send him a whizzed coin so he
could see one in person.

You have Allen Stockton, the most visible coin doctor in the U.S., you
have some of the most respected organizations and people in the U.S.
coin authentication business (PCGS, Brian Silliman, etc.), and you have
Tony Clayton, a metallurgical expert in the UK, all saying that whizzing
moves metal. And you have this guy with a metal shop, Tony R., saying it
doesn't because of his oh-so expert metal shop experimentation,
insisting that all these people are just aping one another, then
demanding over and over and over an apology from me.

And now you have "Jud" saying I won't admit my mistake and offer an
apology about this central and weighty issue of crucial importance to
everybody in numismatics. Idiocy. Knock yourselves out.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom