Old December 19th 03, 05:48 PM
Richard L. Hall

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
Serenus Zeitblom wrote:

Since the Euro people have now accepted the inevitable and started

having
coins with zero rotation between obverse and reverse, instead of the

ugly
and counterintuitive 180 degrees, that leaves the US as the only major
country with that silly system.

Whether you call the "coin" alignment or "medal" alignment silly is a
matter of personal preference. Being German, I am used to the proper g
way of doing it anyway - with our coins we have used for many years what
Americans call medal alignment.

Around here, by the way, coin alignment used to be called "Französische
Prägung" (French a.) while medal alignment was "Deutsche Prägung"
(German a.). Obsolete terms now ... French and Italian coins used to be
"coin" strike until the euro came; the UK uses "medal" strike, and most
other countries do indeed do so, too.

I suggest therefore that, in view of the fact that probably 90 percent

of
the world's population sees zero rotation, this should henceforth be
called COIN ROTATION, and the wacky 180 degree system can be called
something else.

Well, coin alignment and medal alignment are American terms, and
perfectly appropriate for US coinage. So why not keep them as long as
they are appropriate?

By the way, what is the origin of the 180 degree thing?

No idea if any political reasons were involved in the case of the US.
But there is a more general, practical one. Hold a US coin in your hand,
properly orientated, and turn it over, using one hand, so that the other
side is properly orientated. Now do the same thing with a "medal
alignment" coin. Guess that most people will find the former to be
easier.

From a collector's point of view, though, I think that coin sets look
much nicer if the coins have that "medal alignment" :-)

Depends on your personal preferences. In many of the albums and sets I
have, especially my one-a-year sets, I have the coins inserted with the top
of the head pointing to the binder. When you flip up to the next page, you
see the tails of the coins on the previous page also upright. So it is just
a matter of how you want to view things. Of course, I have these in plain
albums which I dated myself using a label printer available at any office
supply place.

--
Richard
ANA# R-176949