Old June 29th 03, 07:28 PM
Philip Nasadowski

In article ,
KLR wrote:

With the AMI - the adjustment is possible to have so that the record
doesnt touch the magazine guides when replaced.

This is tricky to very tricky on some machines, but really worth it. It
also helps ensure good loading and unloading of records....

As for the turntable - the record is not "held" onto the spinning
turntable - but is actually held in the gripper slightly above the
turntable - and then dropped (about 1/32" or so) to the surface.

Yep. Another adjustment that when it's right makes the machine nice on
records. It takes effort, but it's worth it.

The same happens when picked up - it is raised quickly and replaced.

Really quick on my F! I think I might put a resistor in there to slow
it down a tad - it's VERY fast right now...

The same comments on the turntables and grippers would also apply to
rock-ola. Magazine rack is not as good though as I feel the gaps are
wider and the recards seem to "rattle" round a lot during rotation
which cant do them a lot of good. Also many rock-olas have a
stainless steel strip underneath the carousel to stop the records
falling out and they scrape along this strip (edge though) as the
thing turns. AMI uses a belt and pulley arrangement to stop this
happening..

*misc grumblings about rock-olas deleted*

Actually, my 1493 slightly tilts the recors in the rack to promote
easier sliding as they go around. Needless to say, removing and
polishing the hell out of that strip is a good thing. In any case, it
gets the edge, which isn't a biggie. Older Rock-Olas used a rack belt,
and even older ones used some weird thinge.

Seeburgs are good on records - they push from the edge and clamp in the
center. Wurlitzers are like this too, actually, Wurlitzers I don't
think really touch the records anywhere else. This is the 50's type,
the stack types generally murder records if you don't use support discs,
the later type I have no idea.

78rpm AMIs converted to 45 don't touch the record anywhere but at the
edge where the ring grips them, and the center hole. A touchy setup,
but really cool once it's working right. You REALLY have to adjust the
hell out of them, but they do work amazingly well once they're adjusted
right.
--
To email me, chage 'usermale' to 'usermail'.