Old June 29th 03, 09:55 AM
KLR

Default Record Handling; Seeburg vs. Rockola, how about AMI or Wurlitzers?

On 14 May 2003 04:22:27 GMT, (Jjmscf) wrote:

I'm moving and started prepping the jukeboxes for the
move; the records I removed from the Seeburgs look as good as the day
they were placed in the juke; not a scratch or blemish. But many
removed from the Rockola have surface scratches that look to be due to
the record transfer handling. Nothing deep enough to affect the sound
quality. Records from the Seeburgs were dust-free, but not those from
the Rockola.

I have three AMIs and a Wurlitzer 2100 to be restored and was
wondering how records in these machines fair. Any experiences you can
share will be appreciated. Thanks,

Matt W.

See my jukes at
http://home.att.net/~mwengler/jukeboxes.htm

There was some discussion on the jukebox list group recently under the
subject"What makes a juke valuable?"The AMI will probably be the same due to
similar record handling.The record sometimes seems to hit one side or the other
of the record separator when the gripper puts it back in the basket.No matter
how good you have it adjusted seems to happen on certain records sometimes.Also
the record is placed on a spinning turntable.Seems to place circular marks on
the Bside of frequently played records.

With the AMI - the adjustment is possible to have so that the record
doesnt touch the magazine guides when replaced. Even if it does
scrape - it will make a mark on the record - but it doesnt seem to
affect the sound any or make the record jump..

As for the turntable - the record is not "held" onto the spinning
turntable - but is actually held in the gripper slightly above the
turntable - and then dropped (about 1/32" or so) to the surface. The
same happens when picked up - it is raised quickly and replaced.

gluing felt around the rim of the turntable (pool table cloth offcuts
are usually used) will obviously help prevent damage here too, by
giving a soft surface for the record to rest on.

The same comments on the turntables and grippers would also apply to
rock-ola. Magazine rack is not as good though as I feel the gaps are
wider and the recards seem to "rattle" round a lot during rotation
which cant do them a lot of good. Also many rock-olas have a
stainless steel strip underneath the carousel to stop the records
falling out and they scrape along this strip (edge though) as the
thing turns. AMI uses a belt and pulley arrangement to stop this
happening..

The Wurlitzer may have accelerated
record wear if using the original cobra setup especially on stereo records as
it wasn't intended for stereo records.There has been much discussion about that
here and jukebox list .I would't think it would make the swirl marks as it is
placed in a gripper that only handles the center of the record like Seeburg and
the vinyl is not contacting anything but the needle during play and played
vertically like Seeburg but unlike Seeburg they are rattled around in that cage
so I don't know what the long term effect of that is.I'll find out when my
W2150 is done.Many other projects ahead of it.Exactly the same mechanism as
yours.I'm converting to a ceramic stereo cartridge.The records in my Rockola
are the same so I try to use reissues or oldies labels and save my originals
for a Seeburg.