Old July 11th 03, 03:28 PM
Al Wesolowsky

Tim McNamara wrote:
:In article ,
: "marlinspike" wrote:

: Yes and no. It depends on how many content-free form letters you
: want to receive from your elected representatives:

{snippety snip snip]

epends on the Congressman and their staff, of course. My cynicism
:got the best of me there for a minute. There are some good people on
:both sides of the aisle in Congress, as well as idiots on both sides.
:Unfortunately the idiots seem to manage to get re-elected fairly often.

Local Boston newsguy named John Keller (or Kellerer?) has an annual test.
He has a member of the public write to both Massschusetts senators (and
perhaps other elected officials...I forget) a sensible letter involving a
real, local issue. Then we wait for the response. Twice in a row Ted
Kennedy's staff responded, by mail, I think, requesting additional
information and promising to see what could be done. What might be
construed as a positive response.

Those same two years John Kerry's office ignored the letters. Keller
buttonholed Kerry and asked what happened, while a film crew taped the
encounter. Both times Kerry whined about "staff shortages" and "how this
sort of thing was occasionally bound to happen." After the interview
Keller checked back with the citizen and all of a sudden Kerry's staff
found the letter and had telephoned to apologize.

I, myself, have never written Kerry, but Kennedy's people have been very
good about redirecting my enquiries (regarding DIA maps of eastern Europe)
to the right people.

ObPens: Am greatly enjoying a Stipula wide stub. Only complaint is the
tiny capacity of the cartridges/converter. My dentist gave me a
(normally disposable) translucent "Monoject 412" plastic syringe, with
a curved plastic "needle" for refilling the carts, and it works like a
charm. And is not covered by the Massachusetts ban on people
possessing hypodermic needles.

--
Al B. Wesolowsky o Unlike J. W. Hardin, my foolish moves
o have been many.