Old March 28th 04, 02:31 AM
Byron L. Reed

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 16:10:21 -0500, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

There was a piece on the national TV news a couple weeks ago about a company
in Massachusetts who was ready to outsource its $30/hour computer tech jobs
overseas where they could get the same results for $10/hour. Someone
proposed that the company first offer these jobs locally at $10/hour. They
ended up with a ton of applications from out-of-work computer people who
were indeed willing to work for $10/hour rather than starve. Several of
them were promoted before long into better paying jobs. I doubt I recalled
all the specific details accurately, but the premise would seem a viable one
to at least try in some cases.

Bruce
'glad to be retired'

Yes, an outstanding option, but the average $10/hr job in the us actually
costs the employer $12-$13/hr by the time taxes, healthcare, retirement,
etc. are paid. Of course, if he looks at his output quality as being 40%
better by staying at home, that's a good option.

Along a similar line, there are many places in the US where a 30 year
employee stands right next to a new hire (year) and does exactly the same
job for a much higher cost due to tenure. That has never made sense to me
in instances where experience is not an important performance factor.

BLReed

To email me click he http://tinyurl.com/nd66
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices: http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things: http://www.byronreed.com/byrons_collections/default.htm