Old December 14th 03, 07:00 PM
Peter Aitken

"Tony Brown" wrote in message
Real plate blocks, that is, ones with plate numbers on them as opposed to
the "inscribed" blocks of modern issues, are collectible in that they are
proof that the stamp examples are printed from a specific plate. This is
only significant if more than one plate was used in the life time of the
issue, of course. The mint or used aspect is the same as for mint and used
stamps in general (i.e, collector's preference)

The inscribed blocks of modern issues (i.e., not printed from engraved
plates) are collectible also as they often include an identification of

the
printing run. If you don't have the print run number on the selvedge,

there
sometimes is no way of knowing which print run a stamp came from in the

case
of multiple print runs.

I was under the impression that modern stamps were printed with the same
plate used thousands of times, but the "plate number" changing automatically
as each sheet is fed thru or being added later - much like the serial # is
put on paper money. Also what about the printing methods that do not use
plates? SO it's not really a plate number but a sheet number. Or is my idea
wrong?

--
Peter Aitken