Old December 14th 03, 05:32 PM
Bob Ingraham

12/14/2003 9:10 AM

A general question if you please. Last night as I was soaking more
stamps I ran across a number of plate blocks of older stamps. I
understand that MNH PBs are collectable by some folks and was curious if
the same holds true for used?

Depends on what the collector likes. If there are X number of collectors in
the world, there are X number of preferences for what they collect. Collect
what you like! Personally, stamps with readable cancels or fancy cancels are
far more interesting and collectible than mint stamps. I collect mint stamps
if I want an example which shows the design clearly, and I almost always try
to obtain good used copies as well.

What got me wondering was as I picked up a set with tongs, the PB
portion decided to seperate from the block of 4 stamps. I guess it had
been folded numerous times along the perfs as just the weight of picking
it up by the PB was enough. That made me wonder if I'd mesed up
something I shouldn't have - not for monetary value but from a hobby
collectability standpoint in general.

I would say that your mistake was picking up the wet plate block with tongs.
Such pieces need to be carefully supported by your very own sensitive
fingers as they are removed from the water, because the weight of the wet
stamps alone can be enough to tear the stamps apart, especially if the
perforations have been creased. IMHO, tongs are dangerous instruments when
used with wet stamps.

Bob Ingraham