Old February 28th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.written,rec.collecting.books

Default "American Gods" question

On 28 Feb 2006, "William M. Klimon" wrote in
oups.com:

In any case, I was hoping to listen to AMERICAN GODS next, but the
only unabridged version available on CD seems to be the "MP3 CD"
version, which apparently can only be played on a computer. (I
was also hoping to listen to a recent and well-received legal
novel, IN THE SHADOW OF THE LAW, but it too seems unavailable in
unabridged CD form.) Any rhyme or reason to these
(un)availabilities?

The thing is that one can fit more onto a CD using MP3 encoding than
using standard audio encoding. Or, to put it another way, a long audio
book will fit on fewer CDs. I shudder to think how many CDs an
uncompressed version of 'American Gods' would take up, and perhaps the
publisher did too.

Paul
--
The Pink Pedanther
"Any plan where you lose your hat is a bad plan."