Old August 22nd 04, 08:16 AM
M. Scott Reynolds

I've got the 2005 paperback edition of the Red Book. For the SBAs, it
has three pictures with captions of:

1) 1979S Filled S (Type I)
2) 1979S Clear S (Type II rounded), 1981S First S (Type I, rounded)
3) 1981S Clear S (Type II, flat)

The pictures look like they are black and whites of 1979 Lincoln cents,
not SBAs!

Something else to note is that the only place "Type I" and "Type II" is
mentioned is in the above captions. For the cent, nickel, dime,
quarter, and half listings, it just refers to the 1979s as "Filled S"
and "Clear S", with the cents being the only ones that have a 1981
"Filled S" and "Clear S". No pictures either.

Scott R.

dondi3 wrote:
"M. Scott Reynolds" wrote in message news:bxzVc.83045$Oi.16387@fed1read04...

On page 199 of the 58th "Official Red Book", it has 3 pictures showing
the date of the 1979 S Type I, 1979 S Type II, and 1981 S Type II, and
the difference between the S mint mark. What is odd is that I've never
seen an SBA dollar with the date in the position in these pictures. The
pictures show the date off to the lower right above the shoulder with
the S mint mark right below the date, instead of the date at the bottom
right above the rim, and the mint mark above the left shoulder, like all
SBAs I've seen. Is there a version of the SBA that fits this
description? Or are they using pictures of another coin to show their
point, and if so, what coin is it (The only 1979 coins I've seen with
the date in that position is the Lincoln cent, but it's the wrong color!).

Anyone know what's going on here?

Scott R.

Not sure what you've got there. Page 199 of my 2004 redbook shows
gold 2 1/2 dollar coins, not SBAs. The SBAs of my hardcover edition
are on page 193.
Everything looks correct although the coloration is strange. The
hardcover must be different or perhaps upgraded from your edition...?

dondi3