Old May 17th 05, 03:59 PM
castellan

I've put aside a few $2 bills, but nothing spectacular.
A crisp 1976, a crisp 95, etc. I lucked out and got a pack of twenty five
$2 bills from 1995, and they were ALL star notes. That one went in the safe
too. Other than that though, unless theyre red-seals, I spend them.

On 2005-05-17, Bruce Remick wrote:

"Paul Anderson" wrote in message
I spent some $2 bills, dollar coins and 2005 buffalo nickels at a White
Castle in New York yesterday. This caused quite a stir and competition
among the workers to buy up these denominations.

One worker said he was buying the $2 bills because "they'll be worth
something someday". I've heard this before and wonder why people think
this about coins or bills that clearly will never be worth more than
face value.

It has been disproven time and time again, but people still think it.
Everything from bicentennial quarters to $2 bills to half dollars to
state quarters to dollar coins NEVER EVER are worth more than face
value, yet there's this allure or myth of "worth something someday"
that is apparently irresistable.

I guess I know why it happens, but it never ceases to amuse me.

Paul

Hey, it's hard to blame people when they see cereal boxes, coffee cans, Sears
catalogs, etc. that they remember using selling at premiums to collectors.
Putting away a few $2 bills won't break anyone's bank. I still have some I put
away, along with Barr and Kabis/Kennedy $1 notes that I was SURE would really be
worth something one day. Lessee, that's about 35 years gone by now. Wonder
what a dealer would offer for those bills today? I don't have another 35
years.

Bruce

--
Sick of USENET postwhores? Trolls? Flamers?
Read the Killfile FAQ for Newsgroups to learn