Old January 16th 05, 10:46 PM
Kim E

So, if I can paraphrase, Proof does imply a different
appearance but does not directly imply condition.

When the mint is done running proofs, do they destroy the
proof dies or do they get retasked as dies for "normal"
coins?

Most of the coins I have are from the US. I am most
interested in silver bullion.

Kim

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message

"Ian" wrote in message
k...
Kim E wrote:
Thanks for reposting the RCC FAQ. It was helpful for a
newbie. One (at a time) question I am struggling with
is Proof vs Mint State. The Red Book says that "Proof
refers to the method of manufacture and is not the
condition". So if I handed you what looked like a
perfect coin, how would you know if it should be a MS69
or a PF69?

Kim

Modern proof coins are struck using polished dies. This
gives the fields a highly reflective `mirror' like
surface. If you need stabndards to gauge against get hold
of a recent proof set and a BU set from whatever country
you live in. The difference in the strikes will be very
obvious to the eye.

As you move into older proofs then the difference can be
much more difficult to tell apart
from a simple visual inspection.
What country and what series are you interested in?

Dale