Old April 20th 04, 12:07 AM
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:51:15 GMT, ArmsTom wrote:

I don't /really/ want to spend above $50.

There are some very usable older pens ('50s - '60s) around for that
sort of money. Parker 51s with the Aerometric filler (the squeezy bar,
not the plunger). Sheaffer touchdowns, where the steel nib versions
are practically given away. Both of these models are also very
reliable, so buying unseen on eBay is a lot less of a gamble than for
some other collectables.

Much though depends on what _you_ like to use. What's your writing
style ? Large or small, so do you need a fine nib or can you use
something larger ? (fine 51s are harder to find). Do you want a
flexible nib, or something more predictable, even if less capable for
a calligrapher.

Do you have RSI trouble (I do) and so find a fatter barrel easier to
hold ?. The 51 or the fatter Duofolds can be helpful here.

Some of my favourite pens are cheaper all-plastic body non-snorkel
Sheaffers of the late '50s. I didn't like these at first, as they
seemed too skinny. The minimum metal designs grew on me too, as I've
never liked holding a metal pen or cap all day. They write well too,
especially the more "traditional" non-Triumph nibs (I still don't
like that aardvark-snout). Fight over a bright red one - it's like a
tiny Ford Thunderbird that fits in your pocket.
http://www.richardspens.com/?page=re...el_profile.htm

I'd spend more than $50 on a pen that I liked to use, but having used
a good many different pens now, I would be very loath to spend any
significant money on something just because I liked the _look_ of it
and hadn't already used it or something very similar for a few days
beforehand. There are differences, and the "style" variation makes a
lot more difference in practice than slight variations in quality. A
"good" fountain pen can be cheap, even if a truly "excellent" one will
still cost a considerable sum.

For an "every day carry" fountain pen, that you can buy in almost any
stationer for next to no money, try a Parker Vector. They also sell a
filler converter, because half the fun of using a fountain pen is in
choosing the ink colour you want. This is a pen you'll always find a
use for, if there's a risk you might lose it, or you just want to try
out a fountain pen and see if it's for you.

--
Smert' spamionam