Old September 10th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Lost Loves Books

Default Help for Bookstores in Portland/Seattle

On Sep 9, 1:30 am, Ted Jones wrote:
My girlfriend anI are going to the Pacific northwest.
I would like to find "rare", "antiquarian" book stores or ephemera shops.
I would appreciate a rapid reply. dilatory is my given name.

Besides the "big" Powells in the Pearl District, try the store on
Hawthorne Distrist, 3723 SE Hawthorne Blvd. Although the selection is
not as large as the Pearl District store, often I find interesting
titles in the mystery and science fiction areas.

Also on the same street is Hawthorne Boulevard Books, 3129 SE
Hawthorne Blvd, This is a little white house, stuffed full of books in
many different subject areas. No paperbacks, just all hardbacks of
various vintages. Not much in genre fiction, but good seleciton of
nonfiction of all types.

Across the street from Hawthorne Boulevard Books is a mystery
bookshop. They specialize in new books but do have some used, Among
the new books, they have some titles imported from Great Britain and
some from smaller reprint presses that are not easily available in
other bookstores.

I always hit all three stores when I'm in Portland as well as the
downtown Powell's and some of the other bookstores mentioned
already.

I second the recommendation for the Stone Ave bookstores in the
Fremont neighborhood of Seattle. There's actually three stores in a
row: B. Brown & Assocs,with a wide range of fine first editions and
rare collectibles in science fiction and horror, SeaOcean Books,
which specializes in nautical books both fiction and nonfiction, and
Seattle Book Center, which has hardcovers in all fields, lots of
firsts and older books. These three are all in the 3500 block of
Stone.

Hope that all helps,
Rosemary
http://collectingkidsbooks.blogspot.com/