Old July 21st 03, 03:22 AM
mark

From: Reid Goldsborough

"Mark Programmer" pronounced definitively what's correct and what's
correct by Googling around to Web sites,

The google thing is quick, obviously not the last word. What I posted did have
the virtue of all being in agreement with each other. There were ZERO web
sites that agreed with any of your claims that the version of the lion you
posted was the first coin, the date of mintage being 600 BC, or the chronology
of Lydian kings that you presented. None of which you've corrected or shown to
be correct by virtue of any other references.

one of a 100-year-old book
with information long outdated,

Says who?

one of a museum in Canada that
mislabeled the very coin in question as a stater instead of a third
stater

Read it again. The denominations are based on weight, not design style.

Some of dealers who are just aping old information.

So Harlan Berk just apes old information? I'm sure he'd be delighted to hear
your opinion.

He pointed
to nobody who has actually done research about this area, only to one
page with any in-depth, scholarly information, a good page actually.

I am still amazed that you can contridict yourself in a single sentence.

t's a page that you also pointed to and that I had seen when I first
started researching these coins, but it's a page that doesn't support
at all Mark's position that I'm wrong about the dating or anything
else about Lydian Lions

Yes, it does. Read it again. Pay attention to the order of kings and what was
made by whom.

And I'm not
saying *anything* definitive about these coins myself,

OK Mr Professional Journalist, how does this not constitute a declairitve
statement?

The Lydian Lion is the one coin I'd personally call "The Coin."

Sounds very much like you are making a definitive statement there.

--
mark