Old June 30th 03, 06:30 AM
Don Lanway

"Philip Nasadowski" wrote
I'm not sure if you can still get the type of selenium used in these
things - I DO know as a fact (because we use them at work), that
seluniums ARE still made.

They have their place, like everything... it's my impression that they
handle spikes, overloads and heat better than silicon rectifiers... but I
could be wrong.

My Dad still has a Lincoln welder with a huge selenium stack in it... 100%
duty cycle, 400 amps, at about 30VDC... of course we never push it that
high... 1/4" 6018 rod runs smooth as butter though! Built in the fifities,
must be over five hundred pounds of copper and steel laminated core in that
baby, LOL!

Hmm, trip down memory lane... um.. oh yeah! Welded up a part for the old
man's wurlitzer with it!

Just to keep it kinda on topic...

---