Old August 3rd 03, 03:00 AM
Bill Krummel

"Steve" wrote in message

"Bill Krummel" wrote in message

1. Geez, I think that would look nice in my perceived collection, but;

2. $1,599 if no one else bids. That is a lot more money than I have

ever
spent for a coin. That's 150 to 300 of my $5 and $10 proof and mint

sets
that I have been eBaying, and I don't think I have that many left to

sell.
What does greysheet say? Hmmm, Monroe, 65.... crap, it says bid is

$2,480.
So now the price doesn't look so bad, unless

3. the coin is a low end 65 or possibly overgraded. For the most part,

have been very satisfied with the NGC graded coins that I have owned,

but
still, one out of 10 I have not been happy with, perhaps a high ratio
because all of my purchases have been eBay. What if I were to win this

coin
and opine that this is 64, imo? Let's see, greysheet says Monroe,
64....ohhhhh. Uhoh. 64 is bid at $360. Big, big price jump.

I think I'd be searching for a high end MS64.
Steve

If I have two coins I like equally well, your're darn tootin I would go with
the high end 64 over the 65, at that price jump. But, I don't search for
numbers. I search commem halfs by type and go for what I at least think I
will like for my collection. The number on the slab is of no consideration,
although the price related to the grade number is. Iows, if I see a 65 I
can't afford, I don't go looking for a 64 I can afford, I wait until I come
across a coin, regardless of number, that I like and can afford. Were I to
go nine months without a coin purchase, I could probably afford a $1600
Monroe. But, I bet the next Monroe that I have a decent interest in will
carry a price tag of more than $1600 and more than I have saved up for, if
my past experience is an indicator. Bill