Old November 16th 04, 09:02 PM
Lynne Stewart

It becomes diffucult, I think, to put the geine back into the bottle .The
days of 6 card insert sets at a 1:12 ratio are gone. Good or bad is a moot
point.
I'd rather figure out a way to take what we have now, in the current format
of production and Ebay and yet still find a way to generate off-line buzz
and let's figure it out quick cause I'm coming to Philly in the spirng and I
wanna see it ROCK

Lynne

"MIKZCARDZ" wrote in message
Hi Lynne -- I'm flame proof lately ::smile::

Yes, I agree that Skybox over-ran the market in regards to Star Trek.
Let's
face it though, it was much more affordable to buy a box or two and to
complete
a set of cards, minus the HTF holos. Skybox also over produced those TNG
sets
and they fell dramatically in price in a short time.

I'm not blaming all the decline of the hobby on manufacturers...

But, let's take a set like Marvel Masterpieces '92 -- Tin cards, 5 Foil
Inserts
and a 100-card set. You could make money selling this set (still can) and
trying to complete the promo set was very difficult and FUN!

I miss those sets from the 90's...

Mike Surratt

Subject: Crowne plaza show
From: "Lynne Stewart"
Date: 11/16/04 2:54 PM Eastern Standard Time

Bear in mind, I'm discussing, not flaming
But, wow, I can't say I agree with this. Or at least I'd have to ask how
one
can say on one hand to reduce production and then say one wants to go back
to early 1990's prodction, I mean....wow, in Trekland anyway, that was the
era of MASSIVe over production. Sets and Skymotions got what they got
back
then cause people broke by the packs, not the multi-cases and one might
only
find one or two items like that in a whole region, let alone 25 of 'em on
Ebay in any given day. Production isn't fully the issue, lack of
competition
was then. Only a few dealers broke in bulk and they were at shows able to
charge quite a bit.
Only a very few now are at the mercy of the dealer behind the glass who
can
get away with charging whatever he wants and you GOTTA buy it cause you
really want that card. A collector can now chose between many dealers and
that has made prices competetive. On the other hand, the dealer might get
chance to generate a larger client base then what he can generate locally
with less overhead...
SkyBox produced runs of 16,000 for TOS One and cards limited to 500
generate
(and still do) sales of $500. The Enterprise series I II and III with
print
runs of 8,000 (approx) generates limited autos (300-500) and in many
cases,
a seller can get about $50 for them. Something has changed, and I don't
think it lays fully at feet of production numbers.
Lynne

I really would like to return to the early 1990's days of card
production.

Remember when a "skymotion" card (1:720 packs) was a great find for
$100.00???
And you could see sets sell for $20 a piece? Trade values go up and when
could get a NSU valued $25 set for $15, I was a happy collector! Show me
new
base set that generates $25.00 anywhere?

You can't blame anyone for low prices on cards except the manufacturers
who
flood the market. I also have to say that NonSport Update card prices
for
new
basic base sets are way off the mark. If I could not get so many base
sets
in a
case, I would not list them for $2.49 on eBay.

Mike Surratt
www.mikzcardz.com