Old November 11th 04, 05:32 AM
TomDeLorey

According to the "Specifications of U.S. Coins" chart (which I revised) in the
"Coin World Almanac" (which I helped write), the official weight tolerance for
U.S. silver quarters from 1947 to 1964 was 3.0 grains avoidupois, or approx.
0.194 grams. It had been 1.5 grains from 1873 to 1947 and 1.0 grains before
1873, but they were getting sloppy.
Tom DeLorey
..
Subject: Us Mint Weight Tolerance
From: Jorg Lueke
Date: 11/10/2004 11:07 PM Central Standard Time
From what I remember the US mint had some pretty low weight tolerances for
their coins. I have ome acroos a 1952 quarter that weighs 6.37 grams
which is .12 grams or almost 2% over weight. Can I nsell this as a rare
error for lots of $$ on ebay?

Jorg Lueke ANA 197036, ANS 11206, CSNS, ACCG, TCACC , CWTS

http://www.ancientcoinvalues.com/

TomDeLorey
-
"MADNESS!!! MADNESS!!!"
Final scene from "Bridge Over The River Kwai."