Old April 19th 12, 02:17 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Default Seeburg Cartridge 345-03D vrs Stereo Cartridge

On Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:08:36 AM UTC-5, countdown wrote:
Has anyone ever done a sound comparison between the 345-03d and a
Stereo (ss160 type) cartridge with mono adaptor?. They have the same
type head. Just makes me wondering if the internals are actually the
same?
Thanks,Johnny

Yes, I have 18 restored grade #1 jukes and all the mono machines have the 345 in them. I also have a restored SS160 so I can compare the sound. As I can recall, about 25 years ago or so Phansteil was approached by a jukebox enthusiast (don't remember who) and asked to re-engineer the original cartridge to play stereo records as hi-fi machines could not since it didn't exist until '58. Although a cartridge had been designed for stereo use initially the 345 was a spectacular entry into the marketplace. It originally cost $60 when introduced. Phansteil only agreed to re-engineer the styles if a certain number were produced or else it would not be economically feasible. Don't remember how man y were made but they are the best... Compared to the SS160 Showcase stylus it is hard to tell the difference with your ears but they both sound great.
I retrofitted a 345 on a Seeburg B many years ago and it improved the sound 100%
It is really a tough call regarding what's best but as always, let your ears be the judge -- that's all that matters anyway. Ed Liss