Old October 6th 11, 02:00 PM
g0pkh g0pkh is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Raney View Post
Hello, I recently acquired a couple of Rock-ola jukeboxes for $75. I got the 456 Deluxe Console to basically work by removing the two motors and manually freeing up the stuck mechanisms, and motors with lubricants. Everything seems to be in working order except the Scan Motor never stops scanning. I can make a selection; it finds the record; pulls it and plays it; finishes; puts back in place and scan continues even though another selection has not been made. I have a number of Wurlitzers (6), and a Rowe R-90 jukebox; but these are my first Rockolas. I have recently ordered the Parts, Service, and TroubleShooting Manuals but thought I would inquire helpful hints from this web site. Any advise or suggestions would be helpful for an impatient old guy like me. Thanks, Bob (S. Ca.)
Hi Bob

On the 456 machine, I think you'll find that the scanning motor is ultimately controlled by the play relay (on the PSU). This relay is controlled by 2 things

The wobble plate switch (micro switch on the top on the pin bank, with a small solenoid attached).

And the homing wiper, this is a track with a wiping contact that is on the far right of the pin bank (i think its the outside track) there is a gap in this track at the magazine home position). This wiped connection is in parallel with the wobble plate switch, and both in series with the play relay.

The basic mode of operation is that while any selection pin is in the play position the wobble plate switch is closed. Once the machine has finished playing the last selection and reset the pin, this switch will open.

Continuity for the play relay will be maintained via the homing wiper, the magazine will continue to the home position where the homing wiper will then open, the play relay will drop out removing power to the mag motor. Hence stopping further rotation.

Check the wobble plate switch for correct operation. And also check the play relay.

On my 474 machine I had exactly this problem, it was caused by the relay's armature actually sticking, even when the solenoid relaxed.

Hope this helps

Pete