Old September 11th 05, 12:52 AM
Christian Feldhaus

Scottishmoney wrote:

"stonej" wrote in message
ups.com...
$100 bills from banks in southern Florida often have cocaine residue on
them.
Not a huge surprise.

It is all over the country, not just Florida.

But how much? I suppose it is mostly the consumers of drugs that leave
traces of what they take on the notes. From what I have read about this,
the rule of thumb is, a note with more than one microgram (mcg,
millionth gram) cocaine was used for inhalation. Most other "cocaine"
notes get their traces from counting and sorting machines.

Two years ago a scientific institute in Nuremberg found that notes from
Spain and Italy had relatively much cocaine (335 and 71 mcg) while
French and Finnish notes, on the average, only had traces (0.11 and 0.15
mcg). High value notes - 100, 200 and 500 euro - are less "contaminated"
actually :-)

Christian