Old March 22nd 08, 07:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Default (RCSD) Pakistan "overprint" ?

Blair

Re. The early handstamps - all the info I have ( which I admit is
sparse) indicates that these were used as o/p s on Pakistan stamps in
the very early days of independence. The period is right the stamp
being from the last redrawn series of this long-running definitives
set. This particular stamp was first issued in 1964 and the next
definitives were not issued until after Bangladeshi independence and
so the stamp would have been in stock in East Pakistan post offices at
the time.

While this is not conclusive your theory is very attractive, and it
now falls to me to ascertain whether the lettering is an extract of
the Bengali word for independence or a town or village in Bangladesh.

Although this is a handstamp it appears to be quite neat and has been
applied with some care, and is quite even and regular and not the
result of a "John Bull" type child's printing set, but a quite
sophisticated handstamp as used in government or commercial offices
for example. The ink on the otherhand is of the appearance of ordinary
"pen" ink and not ink-pad ink if you get my drift? - so this again
would accord with your theory- a quite good quality handstamp ( or at
least the letters thereof ), from an established office coupled with a
possible shortage of "consumables" as experienced in a war zone.

As I said this is not conclusive but it points me in a possible
fruitful direction for further research. If I find out anything
definite I will post again.

Malcolm

On Mar 22, 4:56*am, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
On Mar 21, 10:53 pm, wrote:

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:40:56 -0700 (PDT), "Blair (TC)"

wrote:

Yep. *Too many jokes sent out in e-mails. *His computer is backing up
and overflowing...

Hardly. *I was updating the subject lines with (RCSD).