Old March 11th 14, 06:34 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
detonator

Default Channel Master 8-track player makes a flapping noise when tryingto play tapes

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 3:26:30 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
lisa can you post a picture of youre unit would love to see it.

"detonator" wrote in message

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 4:18:06 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:

It could mean but i would try a product called Zoom Spout oil its made

for

motors and the like.

--

AL'S COMPUTERS

"detonator" wrote in message

On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:32:04 PM UTC-5, DeserTBoB wrote:

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 12:37:34 -0800 (PST), detonator

wrote:

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 11:15:36 PM UTC-5, detonator wrote:

Hi. I have a Channel Master Model 6325 8-track player. As I was

playing

a tape in it recently the player began to all of a sudden start to

make

a flapping noise. No audio would come through but when I took a look

inside I could see that the pulley and flywheel were indeed still

moving. If I took the belt off, and triggered the motor the flapping

sound would go away with only the flywheel moving. If the belt is on

the flapping sound is there. However, there is no evident problem

with

the belt itself, no tears, and not broken. It looks to be still like

new and this belt was replaced within the past decade. It is clean.

tried to check if it was a loose belt issue by using a rubber band

that

is smaller than the belt size to run it but the same flapping sound

occurred. I also tried using compressed air to clean the inside and

squirted oil into any holes in the flywheel with WD-40. So without

any

belt only the flywheel moves and there is no noise but with the

belt,

the pulley moves

too

and seems to be the cause of the flapping noise. If I tried to move

the

pulley manually I can hear the flapping noise also if I speed it up.

I've

tried a few tapes and no audio would come through from them, just the

flapping noise. What could be the cause? Is it something under the

pulley? Is it the bearings? Would the bearings be inside the pulley or

underneath? I tried to remove the pulley to see if anything needs

tightening under there but I don't see how to get it off the spindle?.

Thank you for any help or ideas.

Hi. I want to amend some things from my previous post. I realize now

that

the tape I was playing when the sound started to occur had a broken

post

where the roller sat. I had found the broken piece so it's not stuck

in

the machine but the player continues to make this spinning sound like

it's the flywheel or pulley. I do hear sound now from my tapes but not

without this loud sound of something spinning which I guess must be

either the flywheel or pulley. Again, would the bearings still be the

cause of this?

First off, NEVER use WD-40 as a lubricant. It is a water displacer,

nothing more. Use light amber machine oil or turbine oil for

lubricating the capstan/flywheel bushing. You may be hearing that

"spinning" noise because of inadequate lubrication from the WD-40.

I had the noise issue before even using the WD-40. I guess I could try to

lubricate with light amber machine oil or turbine oil but if the noise is

still there then would that mean the bearings are gone? Any ideas are

greatly appreciated.

Lisa

Thanks. I will get some of that and try it out.

Lisa

I would post a picture of it but I don't see a way to do it in this group.
Lisa