Old January 14th 04, 08:50 PM
Kris Baker

"Scot Kamins" wrote in message
Folks,

From time to time (as in another current thread) the issue of using
Priority Mail boxes for media mail purposes comes up for discussion. The
question is whether using these boxes for other-than priority mail is
against the law.

There MUST be lawyers who read this newsgroup.

Will someone who actually knows what s/he is talking about from a LEGAL
point of view please enlighten us on the issue?

Scot Kamins
--
Collecting the Modern Library 1917-1970
Modern Library Collecting Website at:

Non-attorney (don't yell at me, Scot).

This comes up frequently. I've sent the question to the
USPS postal inspectors for a reading. I asked for a
legal opinion, definition of misuse, penalties, and what
(if anything) should be done if such a shipment is
received. If I get an answer, I'll pass it along verbatim.

One point to note: USPS recently began putting all
mailers on notice that Media Mail can (and will be)
opened for inspection. This is not a new rule; First Class
and Priority (package First Class) requires a warrant
before inspection, but lower classes that cannot contain
private correspondence are not (and have never been)
exempt from inspection.

One shipper noted that his PO was requiring all Media
Mail packages to be presented unsealed, so that the
contents could be inspected prior to shipment. Some
buyers are reporting that they're receiving packages
that have been obviously opened, inspected and
resealed.

Kris