Old October 30th 03, 01:55 AM
Saler

"Kris Baker" wrote in message .com...
"Saler" wrote in message
om...
Let me clarify, I am a publisher of a well received newspaper called
The Garage Sale Weekender reporting on the second hand economy.

I have had resistance (not sure if this is the right term) from many
of the local antique stores/malls when asked if they would like to
advertise their in our FREE paper. I have heard from "It's not our
market" to "It's like telling our targeted client to go and purchase
on eBay"

Henry, "Garage Sale Weekender" sounds targeted to those who
BUY at garage sales, rather than from the dealers. I can
understand dealers not wanting to advertise there. What
they *are* doing, by supporting your paper, is buying from
those who advertise their garage sales/estate sales in your
issues.

Here, and in the midwest, there are some very good, free
"newspapers" that antique dealers advertise in....and when
we're travelling, that's the first thing we pick up in an
area. These papers have area maps, small free ads for
every dealer, larger paid ads for auctions and shops, and
get great circulation.

I think you need two separate publications.

Kris

Kris,
Thank you for your honesty. But, I am pretty sure you have heard the
old saying of "Never judge a book by its cover". And that is what alot
of advertisers are doing until they understand what the paper is all
about. We are not another free publication like the Pennysaver or the
Thrifty, we are a paper that reports on the second hand economy - a
multibillion dollar economy an economy that antique dealers and of the
sort feed like a growing monster. Sure we look for people to advertise
their garage sales and stores to keep the pub free for bargain hunters
like you can pick it up when they come across it. It is a paper that
relates to shoppers and owners of the second hand market. It brings
buyers and sellers together uniting The Garage Sale community to the
second hand economy. If this post didn't relate or peak someones
interest then how is it that I have gotten 7 replies within the 1st 4
hours? I am relating to someones interests, hence the replies right?
The Garage Sale Weekender has been well received here in Northeast
Florida and has had inquiries from CA and Michagan to start our humble
lil paper called "The Garage Sale Weekender".

Sorry if I have rambled on but I am very passionate about the paper
and am only looking for ways to better improve upon it.

Thanks Again for the post.
Henry