Old September 17th 18, 12:10 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
J.B. Wood

Default Original Bic

On 9/15/2018 5:02 PM, Bud Frede wrote:

I don't remember them being called "Crystal" at all. They were just BIC
pens (in the US). I would assume that the "Cristal" name they use now is
from another language - perhaps French?

I also don't remember when they switched from an all-brass tip to the
current brass and plastic. I think it was the early '70s though.

Hello, and thanks for the reply to my OP. Here's a link with a pic to
what I remember being sold:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...oint-469610137

Besides individual packaging they were also sold in bins in drug store
displays. This was the only style of Bic pen available in the U.S. for
several years. Way before Bic butane lighters ("A flick of my Bic"),
shavers and other ball pen types. (Just for the record my ball pen
price-for-performance award would have to go to Parker who offered a
silver/black retractable that's still available today. That Parker ink
in that fat refill just refuses to dry out.) Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: