Old July 23rd 03, 03:15 AM
Jorg Lueke

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:41:01 -0400, Alan & Erin Williams
wrote:

MIckey wrote:

I am going through several dollars worth of Jefferson nickels and I
have found a real nice 1999 D with a frosty looking finish. It does
not have the spinning cartwheel luster of a normal coin, but wear wise
it is a high AU. No marks, just very slight wear on the high points.
No nicks, bag marks, etc. Rims are nice. Being that it is a flat
frosty looking finish and not shiny and is a D mint and not a proof,
is this what is called a Matte finish? I can see no signs of whizz
marks. Why would anyone clean a 1999D nickel anyway. The only
Jefferson I have on my long list of things to look for with a matte
finish is a 1997. The finish looks proof like. Could this be a
business strike on a proof planchet? Any input you might have on this
will be appreciated.

Bruce Hickmott, IIRC, answered a similar question a few weeks ago by
suggesting that coins with exceptional surfaces, like yours, are 'first
strikes' from fresh dies. It makes sense to me.

Hehe, one vote for first strike from the dies, and one for the dies wearing
out.