Old February 15th 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jack

Default Is GEC a legitimate rating service?

"don't look" don't wrote in message

Absolutely not. They are self slabbers.Which means they use thier own
coins
and grade them whatever they want. 90% of thier Morgans are graded MS 67.
You'll be lucky if you get a cleaned Uncirculated coin.

Makes sense to me. last night I attended an auction that had a GEC MS67
rated 1887 Morgan dollar .
No way was that a MS67 coin. Today I attended a show where I saw a Morgan
dollar MS63 that looked as good as the
GEC MS67. I usuall collect proof coins but I'm learning the hard way about
other coins. BTW, that GEC MS67 morgan dollar sold for $84.00
after paying commision. I didn't buy it. It's probably worth maybe $40.00
max.