Old November 14th 08, 12:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money
[email protected]

Default Finally, someone excited to get a $2

On Nov 12, 10:12*am, Duh_OZ wrote:
Some kids came around selling raffle tix. * Only had 3 left at $1/each
so I got the last 3 and paid with a $2 and two 50 cent pieces.
Ahhh, the expression on their faces when they saw a $2 bill. *One
young 'un told his bud not to fold the bill and if he hung onto it a
long time it may be valuable. * Told them it would still probably be
worth $2 but he still handled it gently. * Then one asked what the
coins were. *What the? * *Replied they were halve dollars and they
went on their way.

Most stores alas treat them($2's) the same way - put under the drawer
to send back to the bank. *Pete's Fresh Foods(a few stores in Chicago)
is one of the few places that seem to hand them out in change. * *Only
got one, but the ones I spend seem to go above the 20's to hand back
as change when needed. * That's the slot it was in when I got mine in
change.

Halves seem to have a better chance of going back into circulation.

Oddly enough, this week after buying lunch I got a Kennedy Half
(1971D) in change for the first time in about 30+ years. I'm
convinced that the cashier got it with the previous transaction and
couldn't wait to get rid of it. When I mentioned to her that it had
been quite a while since I had gotten a half dollar in change, she
said that when she got it, she didn't know what it was and thought it
was a dollar coin at first.