Old October 7th 04, 07:56 AM
Urban Fredriksson

In article ,
Free Citizen wrote:

Hi Urban, is it possible there are tree farms in Sweden that you don't know
about?

I think your description of what's going on in the Swedish
forests was spot on. Mechanised harvesting, almost no spot
in the country where a road is more than 5 km away (except
from the mountains where trees don't grow) as almost 50%
of the roads are private with no public funding (= mostly
built to support the forestry industry).

Or did I get Sweden mixed up with some other Scandinavian country.

Danish Christmas tree plantations look a bit more like
farms as they don't allow them to grow very high and they
often only do Christmas trees. We have the same here, but
mostly as a part of the whole business. (One smart idea is
that when you've cleared an area of trees and planned
where you want your roads, you prepare the road and plant
spruce there, and a decade or so later when you need the
road, you clear it and sell them as Christmas trees.)
--
Urban Fredriksson http://www.canit.se/%7Egriffon/
To get rid of an enemy, make him a friend.